Theater Posters Offensive

Letters

To the editors:

"Adam's rib never looked SO DAMN FINE." "Just ask President Clinton, hell tell you. It takes a woman. "I recently noticed these slogans on posters for the Fantastick Theatre Company's show "It Takes a Woman," which opens this weekend. The show is supposed to be about female empowerment and celebration. However, the posters consisted of other such enlightened slogans as "Gentlemen, commence drooling," and the coup de grace, "Women's line was never this convincing," implying that it is convincing because the women look so hot.

Even if the posters were created lightheartedly or in jest, these slogans are so obviously contrary to the idea of women's liberation and female empowerment that I am embarrassed as an actor and a woman. I strongly object to being referred to as "Adam's rib," and the idea that women's theater is performed so that guys can drool over us is obscene.

Feminism may have gotten a lot of flak lately, but just for the record, without it, about half of this campus wouldn't be here. These posters reveal and condone attitude completely contrary to the ideas of tolerance, diversity and empowerment on this campus. The Fantastick Theatre Company may have put together a great show, but I will never know, as I will certainly not be in attendance this weekend. JENNIFER COBELLI '01   April 20,1998