Merton, West, Wilson Made University Professors

By Adam A. Sofen, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Two star members of the Afro-American studies department and a Nobel Prize-winning economist have been named University professors, Harvard's most prestigious Faculty post.

President Neil L. Rudenstine named Robert C. Merton, the Harvard Business School (HBS) professor who shared the 1997 Nobel Prize in Economics, as the first John and Natty McArthur University Professor. Cornel West '74, famed author and philosopher, will hold the first Alphonse Fletcher Jr. University Professorship. And William Julius Wilson, a theorist on urban problem who has served as an unofficial adviser to President Clinton, was named Lewis P. and Linda L. Geyser University Professor.

"They're leading scholars," said Alex Huppe, director of the Harvard News Office. "It's obviously a signal honor. There's probably no finer position to hold in all academia."

A University professorship gives an individual teaching privileges at all of Harvard's graduate school, as well as in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

The appointments bring the total number of University professors to 17, according to the news office.

Wilson, who is currently Malcolm Wiener Professor of Social Policy at theKennedy School of Government, said he believes theappointments are particularly important since heand West are the first black University professorssince the position was created in 1935.

"I think it's symbolically significant becausepeople--particularly young [black] scholars--cansee that it's possible to reach the highest levelacademically at a place like Harvard," he said.

"It's noteworthy," added West, "[but] eachappointment is noteworthy, whether in quantummechanics or Afro-American studies."

Henry Louis "Skip" Gates Jr., chair of theDepartment of Afro-American Studies, said theappointments are also a particular triumph for hisdepartment.

"When you consider the troubled past ofAfro-American studies, this is a remarkablevindication of the University's faith in thefield," Gates said. "It signifies a certaincoming-of-age intellectually for the entirefield."

"I can't imagine a happier day in the field ofAfro-American studies at Harvard," added Gates,who is W.E.B. DuBois Professor of the Humanities.

The newly selected University professors saidthey were thrilled to learn of their appointments.

Wilson said the appointment will allow him toexpand his work into other areas of theUniversity.

"You feel you have more freedom to createcourses that reach a broader segment of thestudent population," Wilson said. "When you're aregular professor you worry about theconstraints."

Wilson said his research on urban problemslinks disciplines "from developmental psychologyto economics."

He said he hopes within a few years to offer alecture course on social change in Americansociety, focusing on the gap between the "haves"and the "have-nots."

West, who is currently a professor of thephilosophy of religion in the Divinity School aswell as a professor of Afro-American studies, saidhe was pleased when he received a letter fromRudenstine a few days ago.

"I am grateful, delighted," he said. "There areso many profound professors who could have easilybeen named to the same position--Harvard is thatkind of place. It's a privilege to be on theFaculty."

West said that he hasn't yet considered whatadditional courses he will teach in his newposition. However, he said he plans to continue"doing what I love to do," which includesinterdisciplinary teaching.

Other departmental colleagues were equallypositive about the selections.

"They're both important figures in Americanintellectual life," said K. Anthony Appiah,professor of Afro-American studies and ofphilosophy.

Appiah added that he believes West and Wilsonare significant not just for their scholarly workbut for their teaching ability.

"University professorships are meant to reflectwork of the highest scholarly research," he said."That doesn't always go along with great teaching,but that seems to be the case here."

Merton said his appointment had emotionalsignificance for him, in addition to itsprofessional distinction.

"I come from an academic family, so it's anespecially meaningful thing to me," Merton said.His father is a University professor at ColumbiaUniversity, where he has been on the faculty for50 years.

Merton, who is currently Baker Professor ofAdministration at HBS, said he thinks he waschosen in part because his work helps bridge thegaps between a number of disciplines and schools.

University professorships honor "the idea ofresearch and teaching crossing both departmentaland disciplinary boundaries [because] those boundscan sometimes be artificial," he said.

Merton said his own work connects fields likeapplied mathematics, economics and social policy.

"The borders between public policy and publicfinance are becoming increasingly blurred," hesaid.

According to their original mandate, Universityprofessorships honor "individuals ofdistinction...working on the frontiers ofknowledge, and in such a way as to cross theconventional boundaries of the specialties.