Class Of 1973 TIME LINE

September 1969

History professor Ernest R. May (right) takes over as dean of the College after Fred L. Glimp '50 resigns from the post. Harvard begins the year with an Afro-American Studies Department for the first time, offering 17 courses. On September 25, Harvard announces plans to sponsor low- and moderate-income housing in Cambridge.

In addition, a new Massachusetts law makes it illegal for students to possess firearms on campus without written authorization.

October 1969

Harvard greatly expands the availability of computers on campus--adding 11 machines at a cost of about $100,000. The Faculty votes by a 3 to 1 margin to formally oppose the Vietnam War and recognizes October 15--declared National Moratorium Day by war protesters--as a "day of protest." The 15th is marked by a gathering of 100,000 demonstrators in Boston Common and a cancellation of most Harvard classes.


On October 24, nine Harvard Medical School professors criticize President Nixon's proposed liberalization of marijuana laws--for not going far enough in the "right direction."

November 1969

Harvard members of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) shout down a University press conference to protest what they see as racist discrepancies in Harvard's payroll and later hold a sit-in at the office of Dean May. On November 14, Harvard students leaflet to support a 40,000-person march in Washington that took place the previous day.

December 1969

On December 5, 175 students from the Organization for Black Unity (OBU) take over University Hall for six hours, leaving only after they reach an agreement with administrators. The deal stipulates that at least one black subcontractor work on the Graduate School of Design's Gund Hall, that further negotiations would continue between OBU and the University and that a civil rights worker and two black Harvard professors would serve on a committee to evaluate Harvard's hiring and wage decisions.

On December 10, negotiations between OBU and Harvard collapse. The next day, OBU members once again take over University Hall, this time leaving only after Dean May suspends all students involved and the University obtains a temporary restraining order against the protesters. The suspension simply prohibits OBU members from entering University buildings for non-academic purposes.

January 1970

Students protest the University's decision to force 16 SDS protestors to take a leave of absence after staging the November sit-in.

OBU demands open disciplinary hearings concerning its takeovers of University Hall, and several University officials are invited to attend. The invited officials, however, boycott the open proceedings, and when the University Committee for Rights and Responsibilities (CRR) finally reviews the OBU members' case, it does not ask any students to leave.

February 1970

Recommended Articles