Wrestling Snares Team, Individual Accolades

WRESTLING

By Jodie L. Pearl, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

It was the best of times in the tale of the Harvard wrestling team.

In his four years with the Crimson, Coach Jay Weiss has made this team powerful contenders, and at no time was this more evident than during the 1997-98 season. The group quells all doubts by affirming their place among the nation's top wrestling teams.

With its 12-6-1 (3-5 Ivy, 5-2 EIWA) record, the Crimson ended the season third among Ivy League schools, just behind Penn and one match away from Cornell. Within the Ancient Eight, it beat Brown for the first time in years, and outside the Ivies, it topped No. 16 Lehigh and No. 24 Hofstra.

Harvard also placed sixth out of 42 at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational (CKLVI) in December and ranked fourth at the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association (EIWA) Championships, a terrific jump from its eighth-place finish the previous year.

Besides the groundbreaking achievements of the team, it was also a season of impressive individual accomplishments. With great matches at Easterns, tri-captains James Butera, Dustin DeNunzio and junior Ed Mosley and sophomore Fran Volpe earned their spots at Nationals.

After winning EIWA in the 134-pound weight class, DeNunzio had a shining performance at Nationals, becoming the first Harvard wrestler in 15 years to garner All-American honors.

"The year went great, and with the momentum we have built, our goals cannot be set high enough," DeNunzio said. "The unity of the group and the dedication they have shown is what led to the team's success, and that will just magnify next year."

Butera, in the 118-pound weight class, ended a solid four years by competing among the country's best at Nationals. Butera won his spot there by beating several old nemeses and finishing second at Easterns.

"I have had the opportunity to witness [Weiss's] high expectations turn into my expectations and the rest of the team's expectations, and surprisingly most of the time into reality," Butera said. "[Weiss] recently told us, `When you take a test, you use your mind. When you wrestle, you wrestle with your whole soul.' I wouldn't describe my experience any other way."

Senior Rob Durbin, who also made his presence felt on the team, concluded his career with a terrific season. Wrestling in the 190-pound and heavyweight classes, he was the key to a victorious weekend against Hofstra and Lehigh Jan. 30 and 31.

Mosley can also boast of an impressive season, as he took his second trip to Nationals. He grappled in the 167-pound weight class with two-time national finalist Brandon Slay of Penn, and lost in one-point heartbreakers.

"I believe this season was a ground-breaking season in many aspects," Mosley said. "It marks Coach Weiss's first All-American, and more importantly, the rise of the entire team. This young team will only get better with its great work ethic and its plans for off-season training."

Record: 12-6-1, 5-2 EIWA

Coach: Jay Weiss

Highlights: Four wrestlers earn spots at Nationals; Weiss named EIWA Coach of the Year.

Seniors: Brendan Bibro, James Butera, Dustin DeNunzio, Rob Durbin, Adam Griesemer, Luke Merriner, Lauralee Summer

The team's younger wrestlers seem to model the passion and determination of their older counterparts. Besides his journey to Nationals, Volpe placed at the Midlands Tournament--one of the most prestigious in the nation--in the 177-pound weight class on Dec. 28.

Sophomore Joe Killar won the CKLVI at 158-pounds by pinning the second-ranked wrestler in the nation in his class. And freshman Matt Picarsic gave opponents much to worry about this year and in coming ones after great performances all season and a third place finish at EIWAs.

"Being a part of this year's team was one of the best experiences of my life," Picarsic said. "Reflecting on the year, the team's vast improvement has only made us set our sights even higher for next season. Much in the same way, my experience as a freshman starter will serve as motivation for what I hope develops into a very successful season next year."

But the wrestlers were not the only ones whose hard work captured the attention of their competition. Coach Weiss was awarded the honor of EIWA Coach of the Year, a title voted upon by his peers.

"Coach is fantastic," Butera said. "He is the backbone, not just in terms of wrestling, but in building personality and character."

Weiss has mapped out the path to success, and the entire team has followed his lead. With a promising group of younger faces to replace the team's graduates, the next chapter in the Harvard wrestling saga should only get better.