MWRA Now Serves Cambridge

By Alan E. Wirzbicki, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The City of Cambridge switched its water suppliers Monday, causing water discoloration in some parts of the city and noticeable changes in the taste and smell of tap water.

The city temporarily switched to the Mass. Water Resources Authority (MWRA) water supply to allow construction of new purification facilities at Fresh Pond.

Cambridge will resume drawing from its own water supply after the plant is finished in late 2000, said Cambridge Water Department (CWD) Director Michael A. Nicoloro.

Nicoloro said the change took place at about noon on Monday. Water discoloration, which he said is caused by rust in some water mains, should "settle out over the next five to seven days."

Because it draws from deeper reservoirs, thenew water supply is also slightly colder, Nicolorosaid. Cambridge's water supply is about 78 degreesFahrenheit, but the MWRA water runs at about 70 to72 degrees Fahrenheit, he said.

Several fire hydrants were uncapped to flushout the water system Monday. According toNicoloro, about 25 to 30 hydrants--includingseveral in the vicinity of Cambridge Commons, oneof the points where the new water is pumpedin--were uncapped Monday.

"It's a temporary inconvenience to facilitate along term, permanent solution," Nicoloro said. Thenew water system has a life expectancy of 75years, he said.

Nicoloro said the CWD is in the midst of ageneral upgrade of the city's water system, withthe new purification plant as the centerpiece ofthe program.

"This plant is going to set the city up in agreat way, removing and revitalizing all the watermains and increasing fire flows in the city," hesaid. Nicoloro said city fire hydrants with bluebonnets signal mains with greater water flows.

Thomas Lee, a spokesperson for MWRA, a waterwholesaler, said the chemistry of the MWRA wateris the same as the city's water, which should makethe transition easier.

MWRA water has a pH level of 9, and analkalinity of 30 milligrams per liter. Higher pHlevels signal reduced corrosivity, he said, whilehigher alkalinities make the pH level more stable.

"It's a pretty delicate chemistry," Lee said.Corrosion can be a problem especially in olderpipes and water mains, he said. The MWRA upped itspH from 7.8 to 9 July 27.

The MWRA is currently trying to "tweak thesystem" to resolve some of the discolorationproblems in Cambridge, according to DavidGilmartin, another MWRA spokesperson. Moredifficulties may arise this fall, he said.

"In November, when it gets cold, you may seesome more changes," he said.

Superintendents of several Harvard houses saidthey had noticed the change, but it had not been amajor problem.

"There's been a little discoloration but Ihaven't heard any complaints," said John Martell,superintendent of Pforzheimer House.

Nicoloro said the rust doesn't pose any healththreat, but some precautions should be taken. "Iwould discourage people from doing their laundry,"he said