Radcliffe College Lives On in Archives

By Jonelle M. Lonergan, Crimson Staff Writer

In a small room on the second floor of Schlesinger Library, acting Radcliffe archivist Kathy Kraft shows off yearbooks, photographs--and a pair of oversized bedroom slippers.

Cherry-red with a Radcliffe seal on each, the slippers were hand-embroidered for Wilbur K. Jordan, president of Radcliffe College in the 1940s and '50s.

"I don't know if he ever wore them," Kraft said, "but they're pretty interesting nonetheless."

The slippers are just one piece of memorabilia in the Radcliffe archives that historians hope will not be forgotten as Radcliffe ends its college days.

Other artifacts crowd display cases throughout the library, with tintypes and leather-backed diaries sharing shelf space with pro-ERA buttons and a mug from the Women's Equity Action League that reads "make policy, not coffee."

But many of the archives' quirkier possessions, like a full set of Wedgworth china patterned with the Radcliffe shield, are buried in the depths of the library and are only seen by the occasional ambitious researcher.

The bulk of the archives consist of paper material, ranging from the original college charter to playbills from the 47 Club, a Radcliffe drama group formed in the 1920s.

Besides official records and publications, the archive holds more than 140 individual collections donated by alumnae.

"Usually they offer to donate," Kraft said. "They call and say they've found a bunch of stuff from their Radcliffe days...diaries and pictures and things of that nature."

The alumni collections include dozens more original pieces of Radcliffe memorabilia. One graduate's folder holds a silkscreened symbol of women's liberation, one of dozens worn by Radcliffe graduates to their commencement in the '70's.

Kraft predicted that the Harvard and Radcliffe merger may cause these collections to grow even more steadily in coming years.

"I think more alums may want their memories of Radcliffe to be preserved," she said.

Despite the ever-growing size of the collection, very few objects make their way out of the archives. Kraft said the ceremonial use of Radcliffe artifacts--such as the literal "handing over" of the Radcliffe charter at a celebratory dinner last Sunday--is rare.

"There just are not that many ceremonies," Kraft said. The artifacts are most often used in exhibits or in research projects, she said.

Kraft said the library will likely put together a display commemorating the merger and the events leading up to it. Schlesinger Library staff members have also helped create a Radcliffe Yard stop on the new Boston Literary Tour, a walking tour which highlights New England writers.

Kraft said events like these will keep the public aware of the college's illustrious history.

"This kind of publicity is what keeps Radcliffe alive," Kraft said.