Students Salute Departing Guard

By Marc J. Ambinder, Crimson Staff Writer

On Dan Gibbons's last day as a Harvard security guard, the Adams House students he protected for 11 years gave him a standing ovation during dinner.

Gibbons is one of the several members of the University's proprietary guard force who accepted a buyout of their contract, a part of the recently completed negotiations between their union and the University.

That buyout became effective midnight this morning. More than a dozen guards have already left as a part of the agreement, which was signed in July.

A guard from the Malden-based protection firm Security Systems Incorporated (SSI) will take Gibbons' place beginning tomorrow afternoon.

At 6:30 p.m. yesterday, as Adams residents munched on turkey and broccoli, Albert K. Kim '99-'00 called for attention.

Explaining Gibbons' situation and highlighting the guard's dedication to the House, Kim announced that he would present a petition to the University regarding his concerns over House security. He urged students to sign.

"It's the right thing to do," he said.

Gibbons then addressed the students.

"These have been the best years I've worked anywhere," he said in a soft voice that didn't match his large frame. "This is the best group of students to be with."

Referring to dining hall workers who had gathered around him, Gibbons warned the students to keep their eyes on the labor policies of the University.

"If it starts with me, I hope it doesn't end with them," he said.

The dining hall full of students, tutors and staff erupted into sustained applause. Many were on their feet.

Later, several students said they are concerned that lower-paid SSI guards won't have the incentive to protect them

"It's worth paying more because a member of the established Harvard community will be more sympathetic to the needs of the students," said Chris C. Rollins '00, another House resident.

Rollins' dinner companion, Lawson DeVries '00, said that although he can understand the University's position, safety should take precedence over efficiency.

"Harvard cuts corners enough," he said.

University officials have stressed that the decision to outsource their security guard positions has not been easy for them. They say that SSI guards are, in many cases, better trained than the University's own.

The contract signed by the guards, who are a part of a union representing the Fogg Museum guards and the Harvard parking attendants, contained a buyout option that about half of the security guards accepted.

University Director of Labor Relations Kim A. Roberts '78 sent a letter to union Chief Stephen G. McCombe promising that no current guards would be fired without proper cause.

Gibbons said he decided to accept the buyout because, in reality, he had no choice.

"I'd seen which way things were turning. The writing was on the wall," he said.

Gibbons accused Harvard of putting its budgetary concerns ahead of student safety.

"This is a sort of a slap in the face. This is this the way Harvard says thanks," he said. "I don't think the University realizes what it's lost."