Fifteen Minutes: Warning: Potent Potables

When the clock strikes 1 a.m. Grafton, Shay's and the Cellar all shut down, and drunken students stumble to the
By A.b. Osceola

When the clock strikes 1 a.m. Grafton, Shay's and the Cellar all shut down, and drunken students stumble to the four winds. Heading towards the Kong, the Grille, Charlie's or Casablanca for one last hurrah, these students choose their destination based on desired atmosphere and invariably, hook-up potential. Although this tried and true criteria has proven to work in the past, there is now a new variable that must be added to the decision making process.

Through their recent elimination of the Long Island Iced Tea, the upscale Casablanca, located next door to the Brattle Theater, has created a massive drink discrepancy amongst the four after-hours haunts. Implemented in Spring 1999, this policy has caused an uproar amongst many college students, who find this inebriating beverage to be a quick bang for their buck.

The reasoning behind this ban, says Casablanca management, stems from the fact that the Long Island is "very potent and very difficult to pour out correctly during a hectic weekend night." Frazzled bar tenders found themselves pouring disproportionate amounts of the drink's four clear alcohols, thus creating a liability for the restaurant/bar.

Despite the disappointment amongst patrons, there does not seem to be any budging on the part of Casablanca's management. "Casablanca's intent is not for its patrons to get very drunk, and if people decide to go somewhere else then that is what has to happen," says Casablanca's general manager.

Unfortunately for Casablanca, that is precisely what may happen.

2/3 oz vodka

2/3 oz gin

2/3 oz clear rum

2/3 oz triple sec

sour mix

color with Coke