Penn's Caramanico Will be Ivy Force

By Jennifer L. Sullivan, Crimson Staff Writer

With a new coach at the helm, the Penn women's basketball team is setting its sights on the Ivy League title this season.

And with tri-captain Diana Caramanico on the roster, Quakers Coach Kelly Greenberg has an excellent shot.

Pegged as a pre-season All-American candidate as a junior by USA Today, Caramanico will be the key to the success of the Penn women's basketball team this season.

Amassing 1,114 points in only two years of collegiate play Caramanico already ranks fifth on the Quaker's all-time scoring list, and was seventh in the nation for scoring in her second year.

She notched her 1,000th point against Harvard last season, becoming the first sophomore in Quaker history to reach that milestone.

Caramanico came out on top in the Pennsylvania record books, grabbing 333 rebounds in a single season.

With Caramanico leading the league with an average of 22.7 points per game and 12.2 rebounds per game last season, it is no surprise that the pre-season polls slated Penn as the top team in the Ivy League this year.

Caramanico achieved a career-high 37 points against Brown last season, not surprising given her stellar track record.

Consistency is Caramanico's middle name, as she was selected as the Ivy League Rookie of the Year two years ago, and the Player of the Year as a sophomore, the first time this honor was given to a Penn player since Kirsten Brendel was selected in 1991.

Towering over most of the opposition at an imposing 6'2", Caramanico will use her size and her skill to dominate the Ivy League once again.