Historic Foes See Hope for Friendship

By Osman F. Boyner and George Nikas

'Who else, then, will you compel to undertake the responsibilities of guardians of our state, if it is not to be those who know most about the principles of good government and who have other rewards and a better life than the politician's?" asked Socrates on the sunny shores of ancient Athens. Last Thursday, 2,000 years after Socrates, George A. Papandreou, the Greek minister of foreign affairs, made us think about this very same question at the John F. Kennedy School of Government.

Papandreou began his speech in Boylston Hall by describing the general trends that are shaping the current global environment. The audience struggled with the weighty disappointments that have been the hallmark of Greek-Turkish clashes. The audience also grappled with the conception of Papandreou as a leader. For one thing, he lacks the charisma of a shepherd, the traditional leader. For another, he does not come across as the most impressive orator.

Last Thursday night Papandreou appeared, however, to confirm that he is a leader of the educated and inquiring minds. Profound politicians like him could advance the conflict of cultures to another level of peace and prosperity. He reminded us that the two chronic fighters could embrace the potential of a region that has historically been blessed with the winds of trade and culture between the east and the west.

Papandreou humbly refused to discuss implementation details. He avoids the petty praise of his policy decisions while in office, as per other politicians. Instead, he spoke of a vision that resonates with Plato's theory of the form. The impetus behind this drive was catalyzed by "the earthquake relief aid that we sent to Turkey," said Papandreou. "My telephone lines got jammed. People from all over Greece were calling to ask where they could send monetary help, food and how to even volunteer to go to the damaged region."

The heartfelt reaction of Greeks towards Turks after the earthquake shaped his vision and gave him the confidence to begin a crusade that may bring down the walls between Turkey and Greece erected by a history of imperialism and cultural egoism. These divisions, once made, eventually took on a life of their own through political institutionalization and self-fulfilling logic. It is a shame that it took the loss of over 10,000 lives to break a gridlock that existed not between the people but the institutions of Ankara and Athens. As Papandreou pointed out, the people in the two countries were similar; it was their governments that were keeping them apart.

Papandreou proposes a simple step to fulfill his vision of reconciliation between the two countries. Rather than focusing on the differences and problems between the two nations he suggests that we first deal with their common interests. Rather than highlighting the divergence of the two cultures, he urges every consenting citizen to search their family histories for similarities.

As an example of this discussion of similarities and connection between the two countries, Papandreou spoke of the three rounds of bilateral talks he held with his counterpart in Turkey, Ismail Cem, since June. He put this accomplishment in the context of Turkey's contentious entry into the European Union (EU). "Turkey should be part of Europe if we have any hope of better relations," Papandreou said. This is an about-face from Greece's traditional opposition to Turkey's inclusion in the EU. He explains how rewarding the prospect of joining the EU has been for Greece.

It took the goal of joining the EU to end the incessant quarreling between Greece's two dominant parties and to convince them to expend their energies toward constructive ends such as curbing inflation to less than 3 percent and achieving a fiscal deficit of less than 3 percent. This is a major accomplishment in a country that has chronically used the economy as a springboard for free-riding.

Papandreou acknowledges the difficulties that accompany such a crusade may very well continue beyond his political career or even lifetime. He agrees that the erection of institutions and legislation that support this cooperation has to start. He acknowledges that Cyprus is a paramount issue. The issues between Greece and Turkey have not disappeared and his optimism is not to be confused with oversight of the situation's gravity. Military interventions, international law disputes and the Kurdish dispute are still only some of the outstanding issues that plague the regional politics.

However, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" quoted Papandreou from an old Chinese proverb. "We have taken that first step."

Osman F. Boyner and George Nikas are from Turkey and Greece respectively. Boyner is an MPA student at the Kennedy School of Government.