First Female Corporation Member Resigns

By Erica B. Levy, Crimson Staff Writers

Judith Richards Hope, the first woman ever appointed to the Harvard Corporation, said this week she will resign from her post at the end of the fall term.

Hope is stepping down after 11 years of service on Harvard's highest governing body in order to devote more time to her career as a lawyer and in politics.

The Corporation is smaller than the other main governing body of the University--the Harvard Board of Overseers--consisting of only five members, a treasurer and Harvard President Neil L. Rudenstine.

More powerful even than Harvard's Board of Overseers, the Corporation meets over 16 times each year to make decisions about Harvard's academic and institutional practices.

Hope told the Harvard News Office that although she is grateful for the experience she gained while working on the Corporation, she is excited to have time for her family and other commitments.

"I now look forward to refocusing my energies on law and government, and to repaying the generous loan of time granted me by my family and friends for so long," she said.

Rudenstine told the Harvard News Office that he and the other members of the Corporation understand Hope's decision to resign.

"We are deeply grateful to her, and look forward to her continuing involvement to University affairs," Rudenstine said.

Early in her career, Hope was active in Republican politics--working for both the Ford and Reagan Administrations--as well as being a senior partner for the international law firm Paul, Hastings, Janofsky and Walker.

While working on the Corporation, Hope continued her work in Washington D.C.--serving most recently as general counsel for Bob Dole's presidential campaign--and commuted to Cambridge every two weeks.

Hannah H. Gray, the only other female Corporation member and president emerita of the University of Chicago, said in an interview with The Crimson that Hope has been "stretched a lot" through all of her commitments and maintaining the high standards she sets for herself.

"She is tremendously busy in her professional career," she said.

Former Harvard President Derek C. Bok was a member of the Corporation that originally appointed Hope.

Bok said that Hope played a key role in the University's legal affairs. He cited her significance in resolving an anti-trust lawsuit filed against the Ivy League schools by the Justice Department--the University had been challenged on its financial aid policies.

Former Corporation member and Dean of the Faculty Henry Rosovsky said when he served with Hope, she was always very interested to meet people at the University.

"She would go to different Faculty in order to become acquainted with the institution," Rosovsky said. "I think that's quite unusual."

Gray said that Hope often came to special events at Harvard and got involved in things outside of her Corporation work.

"She has an enormous devotion to the University and to Faculty and students alike," Gray said.

With Hope's resignation, Gray will be the only female in the executive body, unless the search committee--composed of several members of the Corporation and the Board of Overseers--selects another woman for the position.

Gray said it has been important that she and Hope have served on Harvard's most powerful governing council.

"It is an expression of the reality that Harvard is an institution that is genuinely open alike to men and women," she said.

Bok said that having women in this body is beneficial.

"Having that point of view is valuable for any organization," Bok said, adding that including women as members of the Corporation inspires confidence in the University's female faculty members and students.

Rudenstine said that a search for a new Corporation member is already under way.

Rosovsky said that the committee generally looks for candidates with a diversity of experience in trusteeship, legal, business and academic experience.