Republicans Elect New Leadership, Change Club Name

By Marla B. Kaplan, Contributing Writer

The Harvard Radcliffe Republican Club elected a new slate of officers Wednesday night and voted to remove the "Radcliffe" in its name.

Members voted unanimously to change the group's name to the Harvard Republican Club, according to Melissa Rose Langsam '00, the current vice-president.

New board members are Jason P. Brinton '01, president; Michael G. Housman '02, vice-president; Travis F. Batty '02, secretary; and Erin L. Sheley '02, treasurer.

They will take over the club's leadership this Monday.

Last spring, when Radcliffe lost its status as a college and became an institute within the University, the club's leaders began thinking of returning to the old name, said Langsam, who is also a Crimson editor.

The change in name is not the first the club has undergone in recent history.

Almost a year and a half ago, the Harvard Republican Club merged with the Harvard Radcliffe Republican Alliance to form the Harvard Radcliffe Republican Club.

Langsam said one of the officers' chief accomplishments in the past year is the "great strides" it has made in unifying the conservative sector of Harvard.

"There is a lot of new blood," she said. "Jason Brinton will definitely be a good leader. He has great potential. I hope the new crew continues the outreach policy we've had."