The Natural Solution

Herbal remedies relieve students from college stress

By Sarah A. Dolgonos, Contributing Writer

Faced with hundreds of pages to read for the next exam, some college students have started to pass on the old standbys like coffee and No-Doz, reaching for herbal tea and ginseng instead.

Herbal remedies are becoming increasingly popular among the American public. And the all-natural trend is attracting college students who have their share of stress to relieve.

In the struggle to stay awake, students are turning toward natural substances such as ginseng or blue-green algae, which some say evinces an energy boost.

Too much stress? Kava Kava is said to relax the central nervous system and help the body deal better with stress, without decreasing mental sharpness.

If these herbs are proven effective, they could potentially offer the boost that many college students seek. As of yet, the scientific community has not come to a consensus on the validity of herbal rememdies.

But some students are not waiting for statistics or scientific endorsement--many claim the best way to determine the validity of these claims is to try out the herbal treatments.

Amy R. Berliner '02, an adamant supporter of herbal therapy, stocks her medicine cabinet with blue-green algae, Vitamin C and St John's wort, which is claimed to support a healthy mood and even help relieve mild depression.

Following her mother's suggestion, Berliner started using herbal therapy years ago.

"When I was old enough to regulate it myself, I decided to stop," said Berliner. "But when I started again, I felt my general health improve a lot. Blue-green algae gives me a great boost in energy and helps me deal with stress better."

Spirulina, a nutrient-dense form of blue-green algae, is said to promote increased energy, as well as support internal cleansing.

For Berliner, herbal supplements have become part of her daily routine for "physical and mental health reasons." And she said she wouldn't hesitate to recommend the supplements to a friend who might be in need of an energy booster.

The drug-store selection of herbal remedies can be overwhelming.

Echinacea purpurea, commonly called echinacea, is said to stimulate the immune system when the body first becomes inflicted with a germ or bug.

Ginkgo biloba improves circulation, which consequently stimulates mental sharpness, especially the function of memory.

Several roots and herbs can affect the nervous system in ways that may be appealing to stressed-out, overworked college students.

Ginseng, often called the "root of life," has been used for thousands of years in Asian countries for revitalizing and strengthening the body. Doses of ginseng are said to result in increased vitality that can offer anything from a quick pick-me-up to prolonged general vitality.

Some studies have shown that select herbal therapies, such as echinacea, have produced more than placebo effects, according to researchers at the College of Pharmacy at the University of Utah.

Raegan J. Tennant '03 has been using herbal therapy for years. The biggest draw for Tennant is that the products are all-natural.

"I don't use any synthetic products, such as Tylenol or aspirin," Tennant said. "I think that in the long run, you can be hurting your body by taking unnatural substances."

When she gets a headache, Tennant turns to essential oils; to stay awake, Tennant makes herself a cup of peppermint tea.

Essential oils, as a form of aromatherapy, is a growing branch of herbal remedy. Popular scents like lavender and chamomile are said to induce relaxation.

Gloria R. Deckro, an instructor at the Mind Body Medical Institute at UHS, says herbal therapy could prove effective for some people.

"For some people, the sense of smell can be very powerful. In any relaxation technique, it is possible to set up a ritual that can be associated with a scent," she says. "Perform this procedure regularly, and you can condition yourself to elicit a response."

The Growing Herbal Remedy Market

Don't like to swallow pills? Don't worry--most herbs are now available in many forms, including tinctures (concentrated extract drops that can be added to beverages), tea or in its raw, root form. Natural herbs are also becoming attractive advertising pitches for meal supplements, such as power bars or power drinks.

The new wave of health/power drinks are designed to appeal to teens and college students.

SoBe Wisdom drinks contain ginkgo biloba, St. John's wort and, according to the label, are said to "sharpen the mind" and promote "focused thought."

Fresh Samantha's Super Juice contains echinacea and is advertised as a drink to bolster the immune system.

Last year, SoBe CEO John Bellows said to Time Magazine, "Coke had cocaine when it started. What we have in our product are legal highs, things that make you feel better and perform better."

Time also reported that these companies do not offer very specific claims, for fear of provoking the Food and Drug Administration. These drinks may contain only a trace of the mentioned herbal ingredient.

"There's no way the consumer can know if any of these beverages are really doing all that they claim to do," said Dr. Gabe Mirkin, associate professor at Georgetown University Medical School, to Time. For example, it takes six bottles of SoBe Wisdom to reach the amount shown in clinical studies to reduce stress.

A Natural Presence in the Square

Harvard students don't have to go far to get their herbal fix. Last July, The Vitamin Shoppe opened in Harvard Square, joining the ranks of Hartnett's and Colonial Drug, both located on Brattle Street.

Vitamins and herbal remedies are now available at many general pharmacies, such as CVS, and specified health food/natural care stores are popping up everywhere.

Trader Joe's on Memorial Drive and Bread and Circus Whole Foods Market in Central Square are two local stores dedicated to natural substances and foods. Natural junkies can purchase vitamins and meal supplements, as well as natural hair and body care products, essential oils and bath salts.

Hartnett's employee Kristen N. Danischewski believes that the herbal therapy trend is especially popular among college students.

Although the store has yet to see a big rise in sales of nutritional supplements, sales of body care and aromatherapeutic products have sky-rocketed in recent years, according to Michael D. Strohl, an employee at Bread and Circus.

"People are really beginning to look at natural products," Strohl said. "People are moving away from synthetic products, they want something they can feel comfortable with."

Even without conclusive scientific evidence or federal endorsement, the herbal therapy market has done pretty well for itself. In 1997, consumers spent $12 billion on natural supplements, nearly double the amount spent in 1994, according to Time. Sales continue to grow more than 10 percent a year.

The appeal of herbal products has spread to the general population, according to Strohl.

"Natural herbs are now appearing in mainstream products and mainstream stores," Strohl says.

After working with the natural industry, Strohl says the popularity in the last few years is perhaps more of a trend than a general interest in herbal therapy.

"The natural health industry is built on a lot of hype," Strohl says. "While I do believe that many benefits that can be received from herbal therapy, some people want to make the savvy choice."

Herbal Hoax?

In truth, many herbal remedies haven't been proven to work, and often gain popularity by word of mouth.

And because they have not been thoroughly studied, the long-term effects of these substances are not yet known.

A study conducted in Germany by Dieter Melchart and Klaus Linke found that excessive herbal remedies caused strain on the liver and may have caused liver failure in patients.

Much more research is being done on these therapies in Europe, while conventional doctors in the United States continue to prescribe penicillin--a drug with definite scientific results.

"There is a lot of skepticism among conventional doctors," Stohl says. "None of this stuff is scientifically regulated or approved by the government."

The solution, say all herbalists, is research and education.

Kristen N. Danischewski, employee at Hartnetts in Harvard Square, boasts about the literature collection in the corner of her store.

Strohl points out that store employees themselves may not be able to help much when it comes to an herbal prescription.

"People think we are licensed practitioners," Strohl says. "We're not. We offer researched and well-educated opinions, but we can't guarantee a prescription, and people must take the time to read about the effects of herbs."

According to Danischewski and Strohl, most employees at health food stores have been trained with herbal companies or individual herbalists, but training is not a requirement. Most employees can offer knowledgeable opinions based on the information they pick up while working at their stores.

"It is necessary to be educated on the herbs, their effects and how they affect you personally," says Danischewski. "It's necessary to know what you're getting into."