Masters Consent to Initiate Universal Access

By Sarah A. Dolgonos, Contributing Writer

Universal keycard access for the Houses is finally universal--well, almost.

All 10 of the House masters present at a meeting yesterday consented, for the first time, to a trial run of universal keycard access (UKA) for upperclass students between 8 a.m. and 1 a.m.

Only the Eliot and Adams House masters were absent. Eliot currently does not have any universal access hours, while Adams has limited hours.

"We came to a consensus on a trial basis," said Michael Shinagel, Quincy House master. "But it's still on a trial. If students are remiss and careless...the Masters will be forced to rethink the policy."

According to Shinagel, 24-hour universal access in Quincy House and the first-year dormitories have been examples of successful universal access experiments.

Starting at the beginning of next semester, universal access will be in effect during the limited hours in all entryways of the 10 Houses. Those Houses that had extended universal access hours will keep them.

Of the 10 Houses that came to a consensus, only Quincy House has 24-hour access. Kirkland's current hours run until 7:30 p.m. All of the other Houses' universal access hours will run only one or two hours later with the new policy.

Leverett House Master Howard Georgi '68 was hesitant to open the doors of Leverett, but said that yesterday's discussion convinced him that students deserved the opportunity to at least test universal access.

"I know that Leverett residents have [safety] concerns," Georgi said. "But I am also aware of the overwhelming desire for universal access, and think that perhaps the advantages override the disadvantages."

On recommendation of the Undergraduate Council's Committee on House Life, all House committees had voted and approved universal access during the past few weeks. The consensus among the House committees was one of the factors taken into consideration during yesterday's discussion.

"I was pleased that masters were responsive to the wishes of the students but also mindful of their responsibilities of safety," Shinagel said.

Adams Co-master Sean Palfrey said last night that he will consider the masters' agreement and may join the consensus since it would not do much to change Adams' universal access policy.

"Before we join the consensus, we will check with our residents again," Palfrey said. "It seems to me, however, that Adams students are less eager to move to universal access than the survey suggest."

Masters of Eliot House would not comment. Eliot House currently does not have any universal keycard access, but on Nov. 28, the House committee overwhelmingly approved a universal access policy.

According to a House committee member who asked not to be identified, the Eliot masters are likely to agree with the decision of the House committee.

Noah Z. Seton '00, president of the Undergraduate Council, said the consensus marks a considerable advancement, but that the council would continue to work toward 24-hour access.

"We're very excited that the masters have agreed to a change like this that includes access to all entry-ways," Seton said. "The willingness of all masters is getting closer to 24-hour access."

Because access is not yet completely universal, Seton hopes that masters will offer to keep at least one entryway or common room accessible during off-hours that students can access if they feel they are in danger.

"We'll take [this consensus] as a success right now, but we'll continue to work toward 24-hour access," Seton said.

Both Georgi and Shinagel emphasized that the responsibility of providing security for House residents and rooms now rests on the students.

"Students must be vigilant and careful," Shinagel said. "Responsibility ultimately rests on those entering and exiting the buildings."