Student Leaders Discuss Plans for Council's $40K

By Jonelle M. Lonergan, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

A student center emerged as a top priority last night during a forum on the future of the infamous $40,000.

About 25 students--including over a dozen Undergraduate Council members--sifted through the options for the once "forgotten" funds in the open meeting at Boylston Auditorium.

Though an ad hoc committee of the council suggested everything from student group grants to corporate sponsors at Springfest, by the evening's end, forum participants warmed most to the idea of pledging $30,000 towards a new student center.

"There's a lack of facilities for student groups," said Samuel C. Cohen '00, former council vice president and head of a new "student center working group."

"We need to have student groups together. They work together, and students need to know where they are," he said.

Cohen also talked about the lack of social space on campus, mentioning the popularity of small House gathering places.

Some initially questioned whether the student center plan would be effective.

"I have my doubts about the administration listening to anything you say about the student center, even if you have $30,000 behind it," said one student.

Emily Y. Yang '01, co-president of the Asian American Association, agreed that "something tangible," like buying furniture for the center, would be helpful in prodding the administration into action.

"This would be a symbolic gesture...It would get the attention of the administration, get the attention of the campus," Cohen countered, adding that a pledge of $30,000 would be the single largest allocation in the council's history.

Council President Noah Z. Seton '00 said he will sponsor a bill to have a binding referendum on the future of the funds, bringing the vote to the student body.

"The council has dealt with this issue enough," Seton said.

Students said they were wary of other suggestions proposed by the council's ad hoc committee.

A bigger and better Springfest--headlined by a big-name band, backed by corporate sponsors and supported by student groups--wouldn't help bring the campus together, participants said.

"One party doth not a community make," commented one student.

"I feel like $500 or $1,000 to a lot of groups will help them in a way that putting a lot of money in one event won't help," said Uttam K. Tambar '00.

The funds could also be used to purchase a new sound system, create a capital improvement fund for student groups and renovate campus athletic facilities.

The idea of pouring council funds into the Malkin Athletic Center and other facilities drew fire from Council Vice President Kamil E. Redmond '00.

"I really think this $40,000 has to be used for everyone," Redmond said. "I don't think a nautilus machine is going to create community."