Students Win Election to Democratic Caucus

By Molly J. Moore, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

It's not exactly "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," but this May three Harvard students will have the chance to make their voices heard in Massachusetts politics.

Last night, at a caucus of the Cambridge Democratic City Committee, Joseph N. Sanberg '01, Eugene Krupitsky '02 and Lesley W. Mitchell '02 were elected as delegates to a statewide Democratic party convention this May.

The convention, called an issues convention, will feature public hearings and discussion among delegates about issues facing the party.

Its work will culminate in the 1999 Action Agenda for the Massachusetts State Democratic Party and Democratic candidates running for office in the year 2000.

"We deal with the crucial issues of the day," said Sanberg, who is also president of the Harvard-Radcliffe College Democrats. According to Mitchell, Sanberg originally suggested that the three run for delegate seats.

They were among five delegates elected to represent Cambridge's Ward Eight, which consists of Harvard Yard, most of the River Houses and the surrounding area.

Sanberg said he considered the affordability of a college education and more available student loans to be the most important student issues on the table at the convention.

He also said he wanted to help shape Democratic policy concerning health care, welfare reform and environmental issues.

"I want to see social security reform grounded in Democratic principles," Sanberg said.

Mitchell said she also saw social security and welfare reform as very important issues for the Democratic party. She said she was interested in representing a demographic group larger than just Harvard students.

"I see my role as to not only represent Harvard but to represent Hispanic women in the Democratic party," Mitchell said. "It's great to be able to represent my culture."

Mitchell said she was very excited to be involved in the political process directly, despite the great age difference separating her from the majority of the other delegates elected.

"It is a great opportunity to play an active role in forming Democratic policy," Mitchell said.

Sanberg echoed Mitchell's enthusiasm for college student involvement in the political process.

"The coolest thing is the Democratic party is very open to young people. The process is very receiving of us. It speaks very highly of the Democratic party," Sanberg said.

Sanberg said he knew of no precedent of Harvard students being involved in the convention.