Members Socially Inept Too

Letters

To the editors:

I would like to address Kahn's claim that "By attacking our clubs, you are only solidifying an image of yourselves as dorky high school students who now think of themselves as cool intellectuals at Harvard." I am not one of the people he was responding to, nor do I share the opinion of the Crimson editors that the clubs are centers of "elitist debauchery." I do, however, feel quite an aversion to the sentiments put forth by the young Mr. Kahn.

While I will admit that many students at this school are socially inept, of whom I appear to have dated a fair share, this ineptness does not stop at the hallowed doors of our fair gentlemen's clubs. I find it hard to believe that a fellow who purchases friendships based on shared monetary privilege, which in my experience is not an exaggeration, would choose to call other people dorks. These dorks are not the ones who stock their clubs with drunk girls at a four-to-one ratio in order to secure a chance at scoring.

A man who must pay to find brotherhood and stack the deck for a chance at investigating sisterhood is not in the strongest position to be putting down the social skills of others. CHRISTOPHER J. NOWINSKI '00   Feb. 17, 1999