Professor Gusella receives $100k for Research

By Matthew G.H. Chun, Contributing Writer

James F. Gusella, Bullard professor of neurogenetics and director of molecular genetics at Massachusetts General Hospital, will receive the first Lois Pope LIFE International Research Award today at the University of Miami.

Gusella will be given $100,000 and a crystal award for his work in the fields of genetics and neuroscience, which includes describing the process by which a genetic defect leads to certain disorders, including Huntington's disease. The money will be used to support his future research.

When notified of the award, Gusella said he was thrilled to receive the distinction.

"To be able to do interesting science while at the same time offering hope to those afflicted with neurologic disease has been a great privilege," Gusella said in a press release. "To be honored for the impact of my work makes it doubly rewarding."

Philip Leder ' 56, head of the department of genetics and Andrus professor of genetics at the Medical School, said Gusella's accomplishments were particularly noteworthy for their application towards humanity.

"He is a distinguished and high-caliber scientist. One of the wonderful things he does is bridge the basic sciences and the bedside as his discoveries are applicable to human health," Leder said.

Joseph B. Martin, dean of Harvard Medical School and Walker professor of neurobiology and clinical neuroscience, also lauded Gusella's work.

"Jim has been the single most productive scientist in the area of neurogenetics starting with his work on Huntington's disease and subsequent work on several other conditions. He has made the landmark discoveries in all these areas," Martin said.

Gusella was one of over 50 scientists who were nominated for the award. An international committee was formed to judge this pool of candidates, which included scientists ranging from neurologists to spinal cord researchers.

According to award election committee chair William D. Dietrich, who is also neurology professor and scientific director of the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, Gusella was chosen for his commitment to research with clinical implications.

"The award is targeted at a translational scientist who has moved research from the bench to the clinic. Dr. James Gusella is one of the few scientists to do this," Dietrich said.

Dr. Bernard J. Fogel, dean emeritus of the University of Miami School of Medicine, said Gusella was the natural choice for the award.

"The overwhelming choice was Dr. James Gusella for his work in Huntington's disease and the implications of his research for us in the medical world to diagnose other neurological diseases," Fogel said.

Award founder Lois Pope said her personal experience with neurologic diseases provided the motivation for the award.

"Neurologic disease has affected my family and friends, and it is in their honor that I have made the neurosciences my cause," Pope said.

Gusella will deliver the keynote address on ethics in neurogenetics tomorrow during a symposium at the University of Miami, discussing the genetics of Huntington's disease.