Stars Edge Predators, 4-3

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE

NASHVILLE, Tenn.--Mike Modano had a hat trick, including the winning goal with 4:23 left, and Joe Nieuwendyk got his 800th career point as the league-leading Dallas Stars pulled out a 4-3 win yesterday over the expansion Nashville Predators.

The Stars trailed 3-1 going into the third period, but a goal by Pat Verbeek and two by Modano extended their unbeaten streak to seven (6-0-1).

The game-winner came when Modano tapped in Jere Lehtinen's wraparound attempt for his seventh career hat trick and third of the season. The Predators are 0-7-1 in their last eight home games.

Modano gave the Stars the early lead with his 21st goal, a one-timer near the right post from Brett Hull.

Nashville's Blair Atcheynum tied it on a 2-on-1 with Rob Valicevic. Valicevic, who had been called up from the minors earlier in the day to replace the injured Greg Johnson, faked a shot on right wing and passed behind Sergei Zubov to a wide-open Atcheynum.

Scott Walker's rebound goal put the Predators on top late in the first period. Just 0:37 into the second period, Walker beat Ed Belfour again on a spin move in the slot to make it 3-1. The spin put Stars defenseman Richard Matvichuk on the ice. Walker then whipped a backhand by the surprised Belfour.

The unassisted goal was the career high ninth for Walker, and his three points were another personal best.

Dunham stopped all 18 Stars shots in the period. He made glove saves on Jason Botterill and Jamie Langenbrunner, then stacked the pads on Grant Marshall's attempt. Early in the third, he robbed Jere Lehtinen on a 2-on-1 and Derian Hatcher on the rebound.

At 7:50 of the third period, Verbeek finally made it 3-2 on the rebound of Nieuwendyk's shot, Nieuwendyk's 800th career point.

Modano tied the game again 1:11 later. He skated in alone on Dunham, deked him to the ice and tucked the puck into the left side.

Bruins 5, Senators 2

BOSTON--Cameron Mann is back in a big way.

Recalled from Providence, the Bruins' AHL franchise, on Feb. 5, Mann scored the winning goal Sunday as Boston beat Chicago. Yesterday, he scored Boston's final two goals as the Bruins snapped Ottawa's four-game winning streak, 5-2.

"I didn't want to just make it back to Boston. I wanted to be a contributor to the team when I got here," said the rookie right winger who had been a member of the Bruins from Dec. 29 to Jan. 5, when he struggled through four scoreless games.

"We were feisty tonight, and Cameron was a big part of that winning attitude," said Boston coach Pat Burns.

The Bruins won their second straight game for only the second time this month, and it comes on the heels of a 2-3 road trip. Boston is at home for five of its next seven games.

Mann scored his first goal of the game and second of the season on a power play at 12:01 of the second period. The goal, on a rebound of a Randy Robitaille shot from the right side, gave the Bruins a 4-1 lead. His second goal of the night came at 12:03 of the third period when he flicked home a rebound of his own shot.

Despite coming into the game with a 6-2-2 record, a 1.25 goals against average and a .940 save percentage on the road this season, Senators goalie Ron Tugnutt (17-7-5) was chased from the net after the first period when the Bruins scored three goals on 14 shots, taking a 3-1 lead.

"We didn't play well from the start. They wanted to win more than us. They went right after it," said Senators coach Jacques Martin.

The Senators are 2-1-1 in their last four road games and 2-2 against Boston this season.

Tim Taylor gave Boston a 1-0 lead at 1:31 of the opening period when he curled the puck into the right corner from the crease for his fourth goal of the season.

Shawn McEachern tied the game at 10:01 of the period with his 27th goal on a backhander from the left of the crease. He is tied with Alexei Yashin for the team lead for most goals.

"We've been in the same situation [fighting to make the playoffs] the past two seasons that Boston is in right now," said McEachern. "We knew before the game they were going to take it to us. We made too many mistakes defensively and they capitalized on that."

Jason Allison's one-timer from the slot at 12:29 of the opening period, his 16th, gave the Bruins a 2-1 lead.