Gossip Game Theory

Social Analysis

By Aparna Sridhar

Social Analysis. Last year my roommates joked that they went to Ec 10 lectures for more than a higher understanding of competitive markets. Rather than gluing their eyes on Marty, they noticed who was sitting with whom in the pews of Sanders Theatre. It was a more entertaining form of "Social Analysis."

My roommates were not alone in their people-watching indulgence. Ec 10, a mostly first-year class, often devolves into a place to see and be seen. My roommates returned from class last year and promptly reported their observations to me. Was it wrong? Was it kind? Was it right that they have turned their introduction to economics into an introduction to their social world?

The answer to these questions depends on the circumstances surrounding the observations. Our talk was never malicious. It is important to draw this line between harmless talk and pernicious gossip.

This year, it's my turn to sit in those pews. Like my roommates before me, I have staked out my area to watch and wonder. Two friends and I are quick to tell the rest of our roommates about our observations.

But I have a dilemma. In addition to my "social analysis" core, I live in Pforzheimer, quite possibly the most-gossip-ridden House at Harvard. The House's small size and friendly atmosphere encourage the chatter phenomenon. How should I govern my own behavior in this cauldron of rumors?

A few weeks ago, for example, I was sitting with a friend in the House library and mentioned to her that I think a common male acquaintance of ours is a really good-looking guy.

By dinnertime my 2:30 p.m. statement was being repeated by two people I had never met.

How did I find out about this? A friend overheard those people talking and repeated it to me at 10 p.m. In less than eight hours, my words had traveled through an unknown number of ears and back to me. But I'm not upset.

I am surprised, but not up in arms. I hear it helped the guy's ego a little bit. The situation was a little embarrassing, but I was not permanently harmed. Along with similar Harvard experiences, though, I have come to understand my own role in spreading gossip.

Now I realize that I can inadvertently be a propagator of gossip. My typical tidbits usually take the form of repeating an observation: "Did you see that person?" or "Can you believe what that girl just said to that guy?" Does this make me rude or unfeeling? Am I confirming the stereotype of a California girl, complete with Valley accent and inflection that makes every sentence sound like a question? I hope not, and upon reflection, I think not.

After my experience in the House library, I went back to see where I had "gone wrong." Eventually I came to the conclusion that there should be rules and protocol regulating gossip.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not advocating spreading rumors that are hurtful or mean. In general, the gossip I spread is governed by the gossip I want to hear. I'd rather not hear the bad news. For example, if someone has done poorly academically or has been summoned by the Ad Board, I'd rather not know and certainlywouldn't pass it on. Your latest date, however,might be fair game.

People everywhere like to talk and to talkabout other people. Since we all instinctivelylike gossip, maybe gossip isn't so bad. Or maybethe term gossip should be reserved for the kind ofrumors that hurt people.

Theories aside--how do these rules apply to me?If I see an acquaintance in the Yard, and she hasa new haircut, is it wrong to tell my friends?

If none of us know this person very well, andthe haircut has very little bearing on either ofour lives, is it wrong to talk about it? A haircutis an obvious change. It is interesting to us, andthe other person probably would not care that wetook note.

When more consequential affairs--dating,extracurricular politics, national security--comeup, I might hesitate before divulging informationto my friends. But when I hear sensitiveinformation, several conditions must be met beforeI pass it on.

The first is that most people who know myfriends and me probably assume that I will tellthem all or part of the story. In fact, a friendof mine once told me a story about his latesthook-up and immediately said, "You're going to goacross the hall and tell this to your friends now,aren't you?"

That's what I call tacit consent. If peopleknow who you talk to and are comfortable with youdiscussing the situation with others, "gossip" isokay-as long as you are not operating under acondition of asymmetric information (an economicsituation in which one party has more informationabout a product than another).

Another consideration is my frequent desire toshare interesting information. If I have somejuicy gossip, I may accidentally spill it. But Itry not to tell anyone associated with thesubject. Telling one person--someone to whom theinformation is of little consequence--can be likea vaccination against further outbursts. Forexample, I may tell my roommate about a friendfrom home who hooked up with another friend ofours. I spread the gossip only, but keep myselffrom telling other high school friends.

I have to admit that I am entertained by whatinformation ethicists may term shallow oruninteresting. I prefer dorm dramas and thenever-ending scene of social analysis to capitalmarkets any day. There's a fine line betweengossip and genuine concern, between fun frivolityand complete vapidity. I'm hoping that I can stayon the right side of the line