GRE Test To Phase Out Paper Format

Exam will be offered solely on computers

By Sasha A. Haines-stiles, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Coming soon to a computer near you: the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).

On April 10, the Educational Testing Service (ETS) will offer its last paper-based version of the exam in the U.S. before switching to a strictly computer-based format, according to the organization's Web site.

The GRE is currently offered via computer and paper in the U.S. and many international locations.

Gregory Johnson, spokesperson for The Princeton Review, a GRE preparation provider, said the computer-adaptive test tailors the body of questions to the individual taking the test, which he said makes it superior to its paper predecessor.

A student taking a GRE computer-based test (CBT) is initially given an "average level question," according to Johnson. The testing program responds to a correct answer by raising the student's score and offering a higher question next. An incorrect answer results in a lowered score and an easier follow-up question.

This process continues until the computer determines a level at which the test-taker consistently scores correctly on 50 percent of the questions.

Some Harvard students who have taken the computer-based GRE said they are pleased with the new technology.

Aaron P. Easterly '99, who took the test recently at a center in Boston, praises the new system's convenience.

"I thought it was better than the paper-based test," he said. "It was quicker for me, and you can take it basically any time."

While the paper-based test is only offered several times a year, the CBT is offered two to three weeks out of every month, depending on the test center, Johnson says. Test-takers may attend either morning or afternoon sittings and need to register only days in advance.

But for some students, the CBT pro- gram has several drawbacks that makepaper-based testing the more appealing of the twooptions.

Elizabeth S. Drogin '99, who took thepaper-based GRE in November of last year, said sheopted not to take the computer-adaptive testbecause she feels it ought to be morestandardized.

"If you answer correctly, you get a harderquestion," Drogin said. "Not everyone answers thesame questions."

Drogin also said she finds she is mostcomfortable with being able to skip questions andanswer them later, which cannot be done on thecomputer-based test. The elimination of thepaper-based option for the GRE may hurt somestudents' test scores, she said.

"It's a shame, particularly because people whodon't have access to a computer on a regular basisare going to be at a disadvantage," she said.

Johnson admitted that the structure of theprogram may present difficulties to sometest-takers.

However, he added, "there's no paperproduction, and students can walk out of the testcenter with an unofficial score generated by thecomputer."

An official score is available within 10 to 14days of the test date.

In general, Johnson said, "ETS is finding thatthe GRE CBT is more user-friendly, and they'remaking a better profit on it."

Johnson said the cost of taking thecomputer-adaptive GRE is about $100, an increasefrom the cost of taking the paper-based test.

ETS's biggest concern with the newcomputer-based testing system is the possibilityof not having enough computers to satisfy demand,said Johnson.

But in the wake of the successfulcomputerization of both the Test of English as aForeign Language (TOEFL) and the GraduateManagement Admission Test (GMAT), ETS officialsseem primed for another smooth transition.

In a letter published on ETS's Web site, ETSVice President for Graduate and ProfessionalEducation John Yopp said he thinks computer-basedtesting has enormous potential.

"[By applying computer technology to testing]we can now measure how content is applied inproblem-solving and reasoning exercises," heexplained