Coalition Against Violence Plans Action

Group calls for women's center in new report

By Jenny E. Heller, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

After two Harvard women who were sexually assaulted last spring spoke out earlier this month, the Harvard-Radcliffe Coalition Against Sexual Violence is demanding more action from the University.

Nearly 40 undergraduates, some members of the Coalition, met last night in Lyman Common Room in Radcliffe Yard to garner support and discuss ideas to improve Harvard's handling of sexual violence.

The group, formed last February after Joshua M. Elster, Class of 2000, raped a fellow undergraduate, has spent the past year studying Harvard's resources for victims of sexual assault and comparing them to those at other schools.

Last week, they sent a list of eight demands for better support of rape victims and prevention of sexual crimes to the administration. The demands are part of a six-page report that the coalition sent to members of the national press.

"There's a pervasive silence around [rape] at Harvard," said coalition coordinator Brina Milikowsky '00. "The Harvard system is decentralized and lacking compared to other schools."

Topping the list of demands was a women's center which the group said would centralize rape counseling and prevention services.

The center, which would be modeled after similar facilities at Duke University, the University of Pennsylvania, Stanford University and the University of California at Berkeley, would include a health-care clinic, administrative offices, student counseling, outreach groups, and a 24-hour rape crisis center.

Some students at the meeting suggested that a student center with a women's wing or a facility that offered space for several student groups in addition to the coalition might make the proposal more viable.

"I am very disappointed that Harvard does not have a women's center," said Kathryn B. Clancy '01, Radcliffe Union of Students co-president and a coalition member. "It's what will facilitate the other things to happen."

The coalition also demanded the creation of a full-time position devoted solely to student advocacy in situations of sexual violence. Assistant Dean of the College Karen E. Avery '87, also dean of coeducation, is currently the first administrator to deal with incidents of sexual violence.

"[Avery] has incredible ties to the administration that might make it difficult for her to be your advocate," said coalition member and Undergraduate Council representative Alexis B. Karteron '01.

The group debated whether their campaign should first focus on the administration's punishment of convicted sexual offenders. Some attendees said the creation of a women's center would have more long-term effects than the expulsion of two perpetrators.

"By focusing on expulsion, we're focusing on the perpetrators," said Nilufar Hossain '00, a coalition member. "We don't want to just treat survivors. We want to prevent this from happening."

Among other items on the list were improvementof Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment (SASH)advising, including mandatory training andguidelines; mandatory workshops for first-yearsabout sexual violence, increase of Rape AggressionDefense (RAD) courses, commitment to academicstudy of sexual violence especially through thewomen's studies department and the addition ofquestions about sexual violence to first-year andsenior year surveys.

The group plans to actively pursue thesedemands with the administration and will table infront of the Science Center Friday, the beginningof Junior Parents Weekend.

"Parents, alumni and money are the things thatget Harvard's attention," Milikowsky said.

The group also plans to rally within the nexttwo weeks, coalition members said.

"These are issues that Harvard should takeseriously," Anna M. Baldwin '00 said. "It would begreat if we could get [support] from Radcliffe,but it's Harvard's responsibility as much if notmore.