W. Hoops Wins With Two Buzzer Beaters

By Jamal K. Greene

The buzzer remains in critical condition after repeated beatings by the Harvard women's basketball team.

Freshman point guard Jen Monti was the latest assailant, scoring two knock-outs in a pair of weekend victories over Brown and Yale. BROWN  67 HARVARD  69 YALE  53 HARVARD  54

On Friday night, Monti drove the length of the floor and hit a fadeaway three-pointer as the buzzer sounded to give the Crimson (10-14, 7-6 Ivy) a 69-67 win over their visiting Bears (12-14, 7-7). One night later Monti took an encore, finishing off a strong drive with a delicate finger roll as time expired to lift

Harvard over Yale (10-16, 5-9) by a 54-53count.

The Crimson has toyed with the clock allseason, as this weekend brings Harvard's record to3-1 in games in which it took meaningfullast-second shots. Freshman Katie Gates beatDartmouth on a 35-footer on Jan. 9, but her50-foot heave at the end of last Saturday'sdouble-overtime loss to Princeton bounded off theside of the rim.

The wins avenge Harvard's two road losses toYale and Brown on Jan. 30 and 31.

Harvard 54, Yale 53

Someone should have given Monti a blood testfollowing this weekend's performance because therookie played as if she had ice in her veins.

One night after drilling a game-winning,off-balance three-pointer against Brown at thebuzzer, Monti offered up a reprise versus Yale.With just 6.4 seconds remaining in the game,Harvard co-captain Suzie Miller inbounded the ballto Monti in the right corner of the Crimson'soffensive end of the floor, and the heart-stoppingsequence was set into motion.

Monti held the ball in the corner as the clockwound down, and she looked to pass to freshmanforward Lindsay Ryba in the paint. But theBulldogs stuck a double team on Monti in anattempt to trap her in the corner and force aturnover--that decision would come back to bitethe Bulldogs.

Monti dribbled left around the double team anddrove into the lane where she faked a pass withpoetic subtlety. The effect was pronounced asYale's frontcourt defenders parted like the RedSea before Moses, and Monti finger-rolled the balljust over the front rim with her left hand as timeexpired.

"I have some people who want that last shot,who like pressure, and I love that," said HarvardCoach Kathy Delaney-Smith. "I think there's ahigher power helping us, I really do. I alsobelieve there are players who really willit--that's Jen."

Monti's heroics capped off a second half thatsaw Harvard erase a 10-point Yale lead. In anotherwise close contest with 11 lead changes andfour ties, the Crimson found itself trailing 43-33with 14:35 left to play before embarking on a 13-0run in a six-minute span led by three consecutivebuckets courtesy of Miller.

The run began when Monti drove through the Yaledefense and hit a lay-up to pull Harvard withineight. Then Miller went to work. Playing in herfinal home weekend along with her three seniorclassmates, Miller started things off with agorgeous reverse lay-up off a beautiful lob passfrom fellow co-captain Sarah Russell.

After a missed jumper by Yale sophomore forwardLily Glick, Monti pushed the ball up in transitionand kicked it to Miller in the right corner forone of her five treys on the night to make it athree-point game. Following a Yale timeout and ablocked shot by Ryba, sophomore point guard LisaKowal found Miller on the left wing for a 16-footjumper that pulled Harvard within one.

Less than one minute later, Kowal herself gavethe Crimson the lead when she used a hesitationdribble to freeze her defender, Yale junior guardKelly Denit, then blew by Denit and kissed a shothigh off the glass for a 44-43 Harvard advantage.Senior center Rose Janowski capped off Harvard'srun with an impressive, 180-degree, turnaroundhook over her Yale counterpart Katy Grubbs at the8:41 mark.

"Yale hates us; their intent was to just nailus," Delaney-Smith said.

Neither team led by more than three points therest of the way, and it looked as if the Bulldogsmight steal the victory when Grubbs hit a lay-upto put Yale ahead 53-50 with 3:09 to play. ButJanowski answered Grubbs with a lay-up of her ownoff a nice high-low feed from Ryba, and the stagewas set for Monti to perform.

"Yale said some things [in Friday's Yale DailyNews] about how we were their most hated rival andthat their one goal in the season was to beat ustwice," Janowski said. "They have really good postplayers, and they are very deep. I think [Grubbs]is a great player; I would love to have her on myteam."

Both teams used full-court pressure effectivelythe entire evening, but it seemed most helpful tothe Crimson's cause. Yale held a slim, 30-28 leadat halftime and came out hot in the second half,while Harvard suffered a brief scoring drought.Unable to convert baskets, the Crimson wasconsequently unable to press, and the Bulldogscapitalized on the opportunity to build their10-point lead.

Once Harvard started connecting on its shots,however, the press returned. Harvard's full-courtpressure did not lead to many steals, but itcertainly unnerved Yale, especially up front whereKowal and senior guard Kelly Kinneen frustratedDenit and the rest of Yale's guard corps allevening. Yale was consistently forced into pooroffensive sets by a press that used up half theshot clock before the Bulldogs crossed halfcourt.

Harvard won the battle of the boards 36-33 andheld Yale to below 40 percent shooting from thefloor. The Crimson shot 43.8 percent one nightafter a 45.9 percent shooting performance and hit6 of 14 shots from beyond the three-point arc.

Miller's 20 points on 7-of-11 shooting led allscorers, and she added four rebounds. Apparentlyinspired by the pre-game ceremony honoring theCrimson's four seniors, Miller played her bestgame of the season.

She scored Harvard's final points of the firsthalf in dramatic fashion. Miller took across-court bounce pass from Kinneen deep in theright corner, launched a three-pointer that foundnothing but net and drew the foul. She convertedthe free throw to complete Harvard's onlyfour-point play of the season.

"I tried not to think about it [being seniornight] because I didn't want to get emotional andnervous," Miller said. "I didn't think aboutanything. I just went out and played the game.Maybe my problem is that I think too much sometimes."

"The fans were great, and of course, it was aspecial night," she added. "You can't not playwell in your senior night game, and I think allfour seniors played awesome tonight."

Grubbs led Yale with an 18-point, 13-rebounddouble-double, and Denit added 11 points in thelosing cause. Senior forward Christina Bertaofinished with nine points, and freshman forwardOnaona Miller chipped in six.

Janowski recorded another double-double with 14points and 10 rebounds, Russell added five pointsand five boards and Monti finished with six pointsand a game-high three assists. Kinneen, Kowal,Ryba and junior guard Courtney Egelhoff eachdished out two assists.

Harvard 69, Brown 67

Vita Redding put on a show on Friday night, andMonti promptly stole it.

The Brown senior set the Lav Pav ablaze in thepenultimate game of her illustrious collegiatecareer, scoring 23 points and authoring a sterlingassist to teammate Cathy Miller on the basket thatgave the Bears a one-point lead with 5.7 secondsto go.

But on the ensuing inbounds, Monti took a feedfrom freshman Ryba, scooted up the right side ofthe floor and, drawing a double team on the rightwing, took an off-balance fadeaway three-pointerthat found nothing but the bottom of the net.

It was her only make of the game. Teammates andfans alike streamed onto the hardwood, and thegame that was to be Redding's coup de grace becameMonti's coup d' etat.

"The play was to go to either Lisa [Kowal] orme and, since we were only down one, we would justdrive to the hole," Monti said. "I came down [tothe Harvard end] and looked up and the clock wasat 4.4, and that's really a lot of time to make amove, so I knew I had one move."

"I wasn't really concerned about it not goingin. It felt good all the way," she added.

Monti's basket recovered a lead Harvard hadheld for 15:55 before losing it on Cathy Miller'sapparently game-winning lay-up.

After a maddeningly even first half thatfeatured seven lead changes--including five in astretch of 2:45--Harvard took control in thesecond. Down 38-35 with 16:18 to play, the Crimsonexploded on a 19-8 run engineered largely by itssecond unit.

Ryba began the run with a lay-in from the rightblock off a nifty pass from Egelhoff. The 6'3neophyte scored 8 of her 11 points in the secondhalf.

Russell followed with a turnaround in the laneto give the Crimson a one-point lead, an advantageit would stubbornly guard until the waningseconds.

The Harvard run was an orgy of transitionbaskets and quick-developing post plays at a paceforeign to the Crimson for much of the season. Thetwo teams scored 12 points in a stretch of 2:07,as relatively unfamiliar names like SharonNunamaker and Kelly Kinneen peppered thescoresheet.

Kinneen made the most of her nine minutes,playing conspicuously aggressive defense onRedding. During one sequence, Kinneen scored alay-up and drew a foul on the offensive end, thenhustled back on defense and coolly ripped the ballfrom Redding's hands for a steal.

Trying to defend Brown's star guard was theorder of the day for Delaney-Smith's troops.Redding oozes presence, and she made it knownearly on. With a lay-up, a pair of baselinejumpers and a three in Egelhoff's face, she scoredBrown's first nine points before Harvard had timeto blink.

Throughout the first half, Redding put herentire repertoire of fadeaways, spot-up jumpersand baseline slashes on display.

Egelhoff responded capitally. With her teamdown 9-5 early, Egelhoff scored the Crimson's nexteight points on a pair of back-to-back threes anda jumper from the right side.

"At the beginning of the game, I was reallyfrustrated with my defense--I couldn't even give[Redding] half an inch or else she would score,"Egelhoff said. "Vita was scoring on me three, fourtimes in a row, and I just got really pissed. Ikind of wanted the ball."

Redding's early antics set the stage for thegame's finale. Although the Crimson's lead was ashigh as nine points with 5:33 to play in thesecond half, the Bears erased a good part of it inthe final two minutes.

Two free throws by Redding brought Brown withinfour with 1:33 to play. Ryba then had a chance toextend the lead when she was hacked on the otherend, but she missed the front end of aone-and-one.

Brown freshman guard Emilie Troupe then tookadvantage of an ill-advised double in the post anddrained an open three from the left corner. TheBears were within one with 52.8 seconds left, butthe Crimson had possession.

The Crimson lost possession. With 29 seconds togo, Egelhoff forced a bad entry pass in the leftcorner and Brown took over.

It surprised no one that Redding was the focusof Brown's critical possession. When Redding drovefrom the right wing up the left side of the key,she drew a double from Janowski, who no doubtexpected to force her into a difficultoff-balanced shot.

Janowski's help left Cathy Miller free to drivethe right baseline into the post, where Reddingfound her for an easy deuce.

"That was a fabulous play," Delaney-Smith said."That was just a great pass, and I can't blameRose for that play. Wouldn't you think VitaRedding would take a little fadeaway turnaroundinstead of risk the dish?"

The blame for Redding's phantom assist becamemoot the second Monti's game-winner cleared therim.

Much will be on the line when Harvard hostssecond-place Dartmouth (17-8, 10-3) in its seasonfinale tomorrow. Should the Big Green win andPrinceton lose at Penn, Dartmouth will tie for theIvy League title. A one-game playoff would thendecide which of Princeton or Dartmouth receivesthe league's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

A Harvard win would not only spoil Dartmouth'sseason, but it would give the Crimson solepossession of third place in the Ancient Eight.The Big Green has won 15 of its last 18 games.

HARVARD, 69-67 at Lavietes PavilionBrown  27  40  --67Harvard  28  41  --69BROWN:Miller 4-9 4-4 12; Redding 8-18 6-923; Gottleib 0-0 0-0 0; Middendorp 2-7 0-0 4;Amato 3-6 1-1 7; Troupe 2-7 0-0 5; McDonald 3-66-9 12; Loins 1-1 0-0 2; Pavichevich 0-0 2-2 2;Barton 0-0 0-0 0. TOTALS 23-54 19-25 67.HARVARDMonti 1-4 0-0 3; Egelhoff 7-15 2-420; Janowski 5-6 1-1 11; Miller 4-11 2-2 11;Russell 3-7 0-0 6; Ryba 5-10 0-1 11; Gates 1-5 0-02; Kowal 0-1 0-0 0; Kinneen 1-1 0-1 2; Nunamaker1-1 1-1 3. TOTALS: 28-61 610 69.HARVARD, 54-53 at Lavietes PavilionYale  30  23--53Harvard  28  26--54YALE:Archer 2-5 1-2 5; Braddock 1-6 0-0 2;Grubbs 7-15 4-4 18; Denit 5-11 0-0 11; Bertao 4-91-3 9; Simpson 0-4 0-0 0; Glick 1-3 0-0 2; Riposta0-0 0-0 0; Miller 2-3 2-2 6. TOTALS 22-56 8-11 53.HARVARD:Miller 7-11 1-1 20; Monti 3-5 0-06; Kinneen 0-0 0-0 0; Janowski 5-10 4-9 14;Russell 2-4 1-2 5; Egelhoff 1-5 0-0 3; Kowal 1-10-0 2; Ryba 2-5 0-0 4; Gates 0-4 0-0 0; Nunamaker0-3 0-1 0; Barnard 0-0 0-2 0. TOTALS: 21-48 6-1554.

Harvard 54, Yale 53

Harvard 69, Brown 67