Dins Celebrate Twentieth

By Parker R. Conrad, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Harvard Din & Tonics celebrate their 20th anniversary this year, and more than 70 alumni returned to commemorate the occasion.

The main event of the weekend was a concert at Sanders Theatre. Parties for Dins and alums were scheduled for much of Saturday and Sunday, according to Dins president Jay S. Wiley '00.

The Din & Tonics, Harvard's third oldest a cappella group, was founded in April 1979 when J. Patrick Whelan '82, R. Andrew Reinhardt '82, and Robert S. Rivkin '82 decided to form a singing group.

"The musical establishment wasn't very receptive to us initially," said Reinhardt. "There was a feeling that the glee club didn't need any more competition."

Since then, the Din & Tonics has grown into an organization that performs over 100 concerts a year, has toured the world five times and specializes in a brand of entertainment which members term "a cappella, with a twist."

The "twist" is what Rivkin calls the "irreverent showmanship" of the Dins--their concerts are half Carnegie Hall, half sketch comedy, and include almost as many parodies and caricatures as they do songs.

Current Dins member Stephen H. Toub '01 describes the Dins' performance style as "off the wall and goofy. It's easy to look static in coattails. [Our style] makes for a nice contrast."

At the concert on Saturday, Wiley invited any former members who "just happened to be in the audience" to join them for two songs. The audience gasped as over 70 people stood up and walked on stage.

Earlier that day when the alumni ran through the two songs, Winthrop House resident James C. Augustine '01 slipped into the Winthrop JCR to listen.

"I was just walking to get my mail when I heard this sound," he said. "Sometimes I find a cappella groups sound flat, but their sound is so filled out, so rich."

In addition to their penchant for music, the Din & Tonics have evolved over the years into a close-knit club. Members say they make life-long friends, and many alumni return for auditions, concerts and rehearsals long after they graduate.

"[The Dins] have completely shaped my college experience," said Toub. "You get to college, you don't know anyone, and the Dins were there for me. I got to see the world, and on their bill."

"Every time I come to rehearsal, it makes my day. The Dins are so funny," said member Wayne Fu '01.