Undergraduate Council Endorses Same-Sex Marriage Legislation

By Jonelle M. Lonergan, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Discussion over a bill endorsing same-sex marriage legislation led to a heated debate about the council's role at last night's Undergraduate Council meeting.

The bill eventually passed by a small margin, but only after members haggled over whether the council should deal primarily with student services or whether it should take stances on larger political issues.

"Is the role of the council to deal with fro-yo in Annenberg, or China? With Burma or a student center? said council Vice President Kamil E. Redmond '00, who co-sponsored the bill. "I think the council can do both."

The legislation supports a same sex marriage resolution by the Lambada Legal Defense and Education Fund, an organization that advocates for lesbian and gay rights.

The bill's sponsors said the council's endorsement would give the organization more lobbying clout.

Alex A. Boni-Saenz '01, another sponsor of the bill, said student governments at other schools--such as the University of Colorado and the University of Connecticut--have already supported the resolution.

"I think it's about time Harvard [supports it] as well," Boni-Saenz said.

Co-sponsor Shauna L. Shames '01, said the council has traditionally been against all forms of discrimination.

She pointed to a clause in the group's constitution that states the council "shall discourage discrimination on the basis of...sexual orientation or gender identity."

Some council members argued that political activism has no place in a student government.

"The reason why students think we don't do anything is because of bills like this," said Brian W. Smith '02. "Honestly, people, we need to do things that are going to directly affect students."

Bradley L. Davis '00 said the council doesn't serve students by getting involved in national affairs.

"This bill has no business in the U.C," he said. "Our job is to lobby the administration...No one represents the U.C. in the state government."

But Shai M. Sachs '01 said the council should take a larger perspective.

"I strongly question this tunnel vision that we can only have something if it directly affects students at Harvard," Sachs said.

Addressing the question of whether the bill represented student interests, Boni-Saenz said, "It doesn't just affect students who are gay. It affects students who are concerned with social justice."

Todd E. Plants '01 asked council members to "expand your view of what the proper role of this body really is."

"The student interest is what's at stake here, not just the student campus," he said. "It doesn't end at Johnston Gate."

Issues of parliamentary procedure led to three successive votes on the bill, which eventually passed by a slim margin of four votes.

The debate gave way to a more jovial discussion of a bill allocating money to Springfest.

According to members of the council's Campus Life Committee, this year's amusements will include UFO laser tag, a velcro wall, sumo wrestling, jousts and a 33-foot high "titanic slide."