TEMPLE BAR NOT TOO FAR

By Sarah L. Gore

Just six weeks after its opening, Temple Bar has revolutionized social life in the Quad.

With a sacrilegious name and Irish boozing game, this Grafton Street cousin lounges on the Mass Ave. strip between Starbucks and Porter, luring Quadlings with gourmet Chicken Lamesa Pizza ($11.95) and chocolate Stoli martinis ($5.50)

BT (Before Temple), when Nick's Beef and Beer occupied 1688 Mass Ave., Currier, PfoHo and Cabot partyers tired of cramped dorm gatherings could pick from one of only two options for large-scale late-night revelry: the Currier 10-man or the shuttle. But on fateful February 1st, when Temple Bar anointed its first patrons, the shadows of social ostracism were lifted--and in its place a hush fell over the scenic quadrangle. And hush was followed by a mad rush. In a dramatic reenactment, students poured out of their beer can-littered rooms and sprinted towards the redemption of a new temple, tearing up their shuttle schedules--clouds of red and green confetti fluttering in their wake.

But novelty always wears off, and skeptics challenge: isn't Temple just a carbon copy of Grafton? Why don't Quad socialites just suck it up, make the 10-minute walk and get the real thing?

The answer--according to a part-owner of both bars, Peter Lee--is not that simple. Yes, both hangouts are owned by the same four young guys; both get their names from trendy areas in Dublin; and both coddle already yuppified, precocious freshman on the prowl for trophy TFs. But, Grafton Street and Temple Bar are as different as onion soup au gratin ($4.95) and cheese fondue ($9.95).

In fact, these two social hubs seem to mirror stereotyped differences between students living on the river and the Quad. The Quad Houses are seen as more insular and more comfortable than River cousins. Likewise, while Grafton Street can get a bit impersonal, Lee says at Temple Bar, "the atmosphere is more conversational and friendly... with more people from the neighborhood." This mature congregation, molded into leather-boothed intimacy and cushioned by chenille pillow comfort, makes for a less frenzied, mellower mood.

At Grafton, however, "the atmosphere has more of a buzz when it's busy," counters Alan Mooney, who has tended bar at both locations. Lee concurs, "they're a little grittier at Grafton, a little more seasoned. We're too new over here."

Likewise, people in the Quad say, "Hi," while River folk walk on by. And come nightfall, the feverish River beats a friendly but empty Quad. In many ways the Radcliffe dorms are a softer, cozier, newer version of the River Houses; essentially, the Quad is to the River what Temple is to Grafton. But those who hazard the walk to both places will reap rewards. Newly converted Quaddites, dry your tears; Temple promises redemption.

Temple Bar is open daily from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m., serving food until 10:30 p.m. with late-night appetizers until midnight on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.