Harvard Seniors Trifecta Honored

By Richard A. Perez, Crimson Staff Writer

When you're good, you're good.

The postseason awards for seniors Emily Stauffer, Dustin DeNunzio and Tim Hill--three of the most successful athletes in Harvard history--just keep on rolling in.

Stauffer--a four-year starter and co-captain of the Harvard women's soccer team--was named a District I Academic All-America selection by the College Sports Information Directors of America yesterday.

The honor is just another in a long list of accolades for perhaps the best women's soccer player to ever don a Crimson uniform. Stauffer is a four-time All-American, two-time Ivy League Player of the Year, and was the Ivy League's rookie of the year. Earlier this season, Stauffer was awarded the NCAA's top undergraduate honor, as she was named one of the "Today's Top VIII" student-athletes in the nation.

DeNunzio was also the recipient of a prestigious award yesterday. DeNunzio--co-captain of the Harvard men's wrestling team--was named Ivy League Wrestler of the Year, the first time a Crimson grappler has ever received the honor.

The award comes on the heels of DeNunzio's excellent showing at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships this past weekend. DeNunzio placed fourth overall in the nation, earning him all-America honors for the second consecutive year--the first Harvard wrestler since 1953 to accomplish the feat.

And rounding out the honors for Crimson athletes yesterday was point guard Tim Hill. Yesterday Hill was named a finalist for the 1999 Chip Hilton Award, given to a Division I player who demonstrated personal character both on and off the court.

Five other finalists were also named, and just a glance at the list will show you that Hill is in some pretty impressive company. Among the other finalists were Ohio State's Scoonie Penn, Providence's Jamel Thomas and Stanford's Mark Madsen.

For Hill, like for Stauffer and DeNunzio, the award is just another exclamation point to a spectacular career. This season, Hill finished first in the Ivy League in assists and sixth in scoring. Already this year, he has been chosen First Team All-Ivy League, Second Team All-District One and Second Team Academic All-America.