Hanson, Former Currier House Resident, Dies

Benjamin R. Hanson '97-'98, a former resident of Currier House and electrical engineering concentrator, died Feb. 21 in Minneapolis, Minn.

Currier House Masters William A. and Barbara S. Graham alerted students in the House to Hanson's death with an e-mail message sent last Wednesday.

"It is with sadness and a real sense of loss that we write to inform you of the recent death of Ben Hanson, Currier '97-'98, who was known to many of you as a friend, acquaintance, or simply a tall, friendly and gentle presence in Currier," Graham wrote.

According to a spokesperson for the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office, Hanson's death was ruled a suicide. Friends and family said Hanson was suffering from clinical depression at the time of his death.

"It was mental illness that really stole his life," said Peter A. Dolina '97, a close friend of Hanson's. "He wasn't physically isolated, but he felt that way because of his illness."

Dolina remembered Hanson as an avid basketball player and a loyal friend.

"He was the nicest guy," Dolina said. "Ben was always smiling, but on the inside he was hurting."

Hanson's sister said her brother was an enthusiastic athlete, who also enjoyed chess, movies and playing the guitar.

"Ben was everybody's friend," Erin R. Hanson said. "He was willing to give and give-until he got onto the basketball court."

Erin Hanson called her brother "honest to a fault." She remembered a camping trip she and her brother took to Alaska, along with several of Hanson's Harvard friends. Part way through the trip, the group began to run out of food.

"Ben was honest and believed us. He only ate his ration. Everyone else stole the food," she said.

Dolina said Hanson's Baptist upbringing affected his life deeply while at Harvard.

"For people who come from that background Harvard can be very difficult-the world isn't black and white anymore," he said. "That was definitely an undercurrent in his life."

Hanson graduated in January 1998, after which he worked at Colorspan, a laser-jet printer manufacturer in St. Paul, Minn. Dolina said Hanson was working up to 80 hours at week at the company.

Dolina said Hanson struggled with his depression after leaving Harvard.

"When people graduate from Harvard they become isolated. That first year of transition can be very different," he said. "The lessons that I'm taking away from this is that I don't want to neglect people."

According to Dolina, Hanson was not receiving psychiatric help, nor was he talking prescriptive medicine.

"He knew that was out there, but the price of that was he wouldn't be himself," Dolina said. "He didn't realize this could give him his life back."

Friends of Hanson met last night in Currier House talk about the death. Dolina said he hopes to help plan a memorial service at Currier later in the month.