W. Water Polo Washed Out at ECAC Tourney

Loses three of four including a tough, 10-8 defeat by Princeton

By William P. Bohlen, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The Harvard women's water polo team has had its ups and downs recently.

After a second-place finish to Princeton at the Ivy League Championships two weeks ago, the Crimson was presented with another chance to win a major tournament this weekend.

Unfortunately, it was not in the stars for Harvard.

Playing at the ECAC Championships at Princeton Saturday and Sunday, the Crimson finished with a record of 1-3 for the weekend.

After decimating Queens in the first match on Saturday, the Crimson were set to face a tough Maryland squad that very same night.

Unfortunately, the team came up on the short end of a 12-2 score against the Terrapins.

"They came out and really shocked them this weekend," junior goalkeeper Carine Williams said. "We weren't really on our guard."

Sunday, Harvard woke up with Tiger hunting on the mind. The Crimson wanted to avenge its 8-3 loss to Princeton at the Ivy League Championships the previous weekend.

Princeton had already crushed UMass the day before, and the Tigers were expecting to roll over the Crimson, who were ready to fight the good fight.

For three quarters of trading goal-for-goal, the Crimson would ultimately fall short, losing 10-8 after a hard-fought battle that featured a strong defensive effort by the Crimson.

The Tigers would go on to win the tournament.

"I think the Princeton game was our best all year," Williams said. "We will definitely see them at Easterns."

The Crimson's eight goals was the most by any team against the Tiger goalie this year.

After the heart-breaking loss to Princeton, the Crimson could not find the mental and physical energy to perform well against UMass in the Crimson's last game on Sunday. After the anti-climactic final tournament game, UMass prevailed with a victory.

"It was sort of a lackluster performance on our part," Williams said. "I think we've learned a lot from the weekend."

Next weekend, the Crimson will play at Wesleyan to win a spot at Easterns, which Harvard will host April 23-25.