Justice Served

Judge Susan Webber Wright hands down a fair rebuke to the president

It wasn't exactly impeachment, but President Clinton has finally been punished for his wrongdoing in the Monica Lewinsky scandal. On Monday Judge Susan Webber Wright ruled Clinton was in contempt of court for giving "intentionally false" testimony in the Paula Jones sexual harassment lawsuit. The president has been ordered to compensate Jones for any legal expenses that resulted Jones for any legal expenses that resulted from his misleading testimony.

We applaud Judge Wright for finally calling the president to task for his misdeeds. Her finding-a civil, not a criminal, ruling-is a sanction appropriate to the president's offense. There is no doubt that the president lied during his deposition. But, given that the questionably motivated lawsuit was dismissed, it is reasonable that Judge Wright opted for the less-serious civil contempt citation.

President Clinton now has 30 days to ask for a hearing or file a notice of appeal. We hope he does neither. The long and grueling impeachment trial and Senate hearings, not to mention the months of scurrilous investigation, have come to a conclusion with the ruling in this case. It is now time-especially with world affairs in such a tenuous state-for the focus to finally shift completely to matters of national security and prosperity. Judge Wright's ruling, fair and just as it is, should provide Clinton and the nation a sense of closure.

Perhaps more than anything, Monday's ruling was a victory for common sense and the sanctity of the English language. The line between truth and falsehood-so oblivious to most of the American people despite the efforts of the president and his legal team-has finally been affirmed by an official voice.