TUESDAY APR 27

LISTINGS

April is National Poetry Month and it is being celebrated at the Middle East starting at 8 p.m. Patino Vasquez will be delivering a combination of poetry and songs of Cuba followed by a group of minimalist poets from Burlington, Vt. Tickets can be picked up at the Middle East Box Office or from Ticketmaster 931-2000. 472 Mass Ave., Central Square. Call 354-8388 for more info. 18+. $8 at the door.

For all the wannabe-be Kerouacs, who sleep with "On the Road" under their pillows and dream of solitary road trips which fuse alcohol, cigarettes, lack of sleep and silence into brilliant creativity, the Open Mike In-the-Round at Club Passim will have readings, folk music starting at 8 p.m. The daring should arrive at 7:30 p.m. for sign-up. 47 Palmer St. 492-7679 for more details. $5.

Latin Jazz has been on the rise. If you want to see what the talk's about come see the Brazilian guitarist Fernando Brandao and the Jingo Trio at the Regattabar in the Charles Hotel. 661-5000. 8:30 p.m. $10.

"Alaska: Spirit of the Wild," is the newest I-MAX out, currently playing at the Museum of Science through June 30. To capture the wild nature of Alaska's landscape, cameras were places in everything from helicopters to kayaks. Thanks to this a bear tears into a salmon as stunned viewers grab their seats for the reassurance that they are in a theatre, not a nightmare. Get off at the Science Park T Stop, or off Ret. 28. Call 723-2500 for more info. Shows at 10 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 6 p.m., 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. daily.

National Poetry Month comes directly to Harvard Square. Take a lunch break and check out the Boston Poetry Slam happening at Holyoke Center from 12 to 1 p.m. Grab Fly-by and then go enjoy the art of words in the spring sunshine.

Self-portraits by Robert Beauchamp at The Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute. See Monday listing for details.