Delta Upsilon 'Colony' Established at Harvard

Fraternity will become full chapter in May

By Christina B.rosenberger, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

A group of Harvard undergraduates was officially recognized as a "colony" of the Delta Upsilon fraternity at the fraternity's annual meeting in New York City last weekend.

The new colony, which was unanimously approved by the national fraternity's Board of Directors, will retain the designation until it is officially installed as a chapter in May.

"We're thrilled about the new Delta Upsilon colony at Harvard," said Phil Schott, director of chapter services at the organization's headquarters. "The men of the new Harvard chapter will have the full support of the fraternity and its undergraduate members."

In order to become a chapter, Schott said the colony needs to meet 11 requirements regarding membership size, academic standards, community service and other criteria. the Harvard colony has met those conditions, according to Justin E. Porter '99, one of the founding members.

The vote to approve a new Delta Upsilon colony marks the return of the fraternity to campus. Established at Harvard in the 1890s, the group broke with the national fraternity during World War II.

The D.U. club closed and was absorbed into the Fly Club in 1995.

"The re-establishment of the Harvard chapter of Delta Upsilon is an exciting opportunity for D.U. and for the men of the Harvard community," wrote Timothy Kutka, a member of the Delta Upsilon Undergraduate Advisory Board, in an email message yesterday.

DU has "expanded conservatively" in the last few years according to Schott, and has not chartered a new chapter since 1995. There are currently two other colonies that will be installed as full chapters in May, and the fraternity plans to expand by four campuses a year over the next two years.

Schott said the formation of the Harvard colony was "unorthodox." The students from Harvard approached the fraternityas a fully organized group, instead of the usualpattern of the fraternity targeting a campus andrecruiting members.

According to Porter, the mission of DeltaUpsilon is based on four guiding principles:promotion of friendship, development of character,advancement of justice and the diffusion ofliberal culture.

Besides providing social activities for itsmembers, the colony plans to engage in communityservice and hold other types of events, Portersaid.

Jeremiah B. Mann '00 said the formation of thefraternity is important because it will help unitedifferent kinds of students.

"We felt there was a need to bring togetherpeople of different groups here a Harvard," hesaid