W. Tennis Drops Three of Four Matches During Break in Texas and California

By Brian C. Clay, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Like many Harvardians, the women's tennis team traveled down South to bask in the Texas sun. Their spring break, however, proved less successful than hoped as it dropped three of four matches over the week.

In Waco, the Crimson suffered their first defeat of the break, losing 4-5 to Big 12 foe Baylor (11-3, 4-1 Big 12).

Despite a valiant effort by sophomore Sanaz Ghazal and freshman Fleur Broughton, the doubles pair lost to the No. 1 Baylor team of Jahnavi Parekh and Katja Kovac 8-6.

In singles play, Ghazal and junior HARVARD  4 BAYLOR  5 HARVARD  5 HOUSTON  4 HARVARD  4 TEXAS A&M  5 HARVARD  2 PEPPERDINE  7 Vedica Jain suffered straight set defeats 6-0, 6-3 and 6-4, 6-4, respectively. The losses, despite victories by the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles teams, resulted in a victory for the Bears.

The most successful Harvard outing of the Break came in Houston, where the Crimson defeated the Cougars (6-10) by a slim one-point margin.

Despite losing to each of Houston's top single seeds, the Crimson managed to split singles play and went into double's matches knotted at 3-3.

In late action Houston managed only one win in three outings, giving the Crimson the slim margin needed for the 5-4 win. The Ghazal/Broughton and Jain/Andrea Magyera doubles teams each slapped 8-5 victories over the Cougars.

Next, the Crimson headed to College Station, Texas, to take on the No. 34 ranked Texas A&M Aggies (12-4). Despite splitting singles play at 3-3, the Crimson could not pull out the match in doubles, losing 5-4 overall.

At No. 1 singles Ghazal stomached a straight set 6-3, 6-3 loss to nationally ranked freshman Martina Nedorostova. With the victory Nedorostova improved her record to 20-7, including successes in 13 of her last 14 matches.

The brightest note for the Crimson came Jain, who triumphed in a three-set struggle 1-6, 6-2, 6-2 over Lisa Dingwall.

The doubles play of the Aggies, however, proved too much as they won two of the three final matches, giving them a one-point victory.

Rounding out the trip, the Crimson suffered a 7-2 defeat from perennial powerhouse Pepperdine University (16-4).

Returning back East, the Crimson heads to New York weekend to take on Ivy League opponents Cornell and Columbia.

With the tough matches against the Texas and California teams under its belt, Harvard hopes to bounce back to make some noise against its upcoming Ancient Eight competition.