Harvard Turns Out for Arts First

By Victoria C. Hallett, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

From the Harvard Pops Orchestra's performance of "Rhapsody in Blue" to the Pforzheimen House screening of. First festival spanned the spectrum of art forms at Harvard last weekend.

About 2,000 students displayed their talents in the festival's nearly 200 events, which ranged from cultural dance presentations to poetry readings to stage productions.

The festival got going at 4 p.m. Thursday with a performance of Androcles and the Lion in Radcliffe Yard. It continued with a parade through the Square Saturday morning, a performance fair that afternoon and ended with a musical presentation of Recent Britain at 10 p.m. last night.

At a tent in front of the Science Center-that was the hub of the celebration-the Harvard Arts Medal was awarded Saturday evening to David A. Hayes '52. He is the founder of the National Theatre of the Deaf, a professional acting company composed of deaf and hearing actors. The medical which goes to alms who have significant contribution in the are been awarded at the festival every year since 1995.

Students had rave reviews for the festival and the artistic appreciation it creates.

"At Harvard you're here in your own world," said Mimi R. Asnes '02, who performed with CityStep. "You put your blinders on and you forget that there's all of this other stuff going on. It's amazing to get it all together."

Because this year marks the 25th anniversary of the office of the Arts (OFA), this year's festival placed a special emphasis on alums. Director of the OFA Myra A. Mayman--who has served as director since the office's inception--invited back alums who have gone on to artistic careers.

Kicking off the festival on Thursday night was the Choreographers' Ink Alumni Modern Dance Concert, featuring the choreography of visiting artist Christopher G. L. Caines '85-'86 and several dancing graduates.

Stanford T. Makishi '87, a member of the Patricia Brown Dance Company in New York said coming back to Harvard for Arts First reminds him of his college days.

"Because of the spirit around the event, I really feel like I belong to the University," Makashi said. "I feel welcome and part of the school."

One of the most famous alums in attendance was Master of the Arts at Harvard John A. Lithgow '67. In 1993, Lithgow--then a member of the Board.

of Overseers--founded the festival.

After Witnessing an impressive display ofstudent artistic talent at President Neil L.Rudenstine's inauguration in 1992, Lithgowsuggested that Harvard hold a dinner for all ofthe students involved in the arts. But instead ofthe dinner, Lithgow's proposal grew into a muchlarger vision--Arts First.

In the first festival, Mayman said she drewtogether about 30 people to serve as organizers.This year, 135 people helped to organize the eventand about 155 volunteers helped make it runsmoothly.

Mayman said Lithgow continues to be animportant part of the festival's planning.

"He's an excellent thinker," she said. "Hehelps us think through things and get aroundproblems."

Lithgow said he relishes coming to thefestival.

"By now I can't get through the year withoutthis visit," he said.

What a Day

As the founder of the festival, Lithgowreceives the yearly honor of leading Saturday'sparade as grand marshal.

"I just sort of weigh in twice a year and theyput me at the head of the parade," he said.

Just behind Lithgow in the parade were 10Cambridge school children holding the Arts Firstbanner. The Harvard marching band followed closebehind, as the procession moved down Mass. Avethrough Johnston Gate to the Science Center.

Other parade participants included members ofthe ballroom dance team, who twirled down thestreet in flowing, orange and pink sequined gowns;jugglers tossing clubs and flaming wands; a dragcontingent from Hasty Pudding Theatricals andNotables members in top hats.

When the procession reached the Science Center,everyone poured into a tent for a Cinco de MayoMexican Picnic. As people feasted on jalapeno cornbread and churros, the Sunday Jazz Band providedswing and jazz music.

Saturday afternoon the main attraction was aperformance fair featuring over 100 groups in 10venues.

In the parlor of Phillips Brooks House at 2:30p.m., audience members listened to bopping,bow tied first-years in the a cappella Outta TownNews sing "For the Longest Time."

At the same time, Joseph I. Lin '00, theaccomplished violinist who has played with theBoston Symphony Orchestra, performed the BachSonata for solo violin in Adolphus Busch Hall.

Many people praised the variety displayed inthe dance festival held in Lowell Lecture Hall.

Each 20-minute segment featured at least fourgroups doing vastly different forms of dance.

The Harvard Radcliffe Ballroom Dance Team spunacross the floor to "Great Balls of Fire," beforetwo members of the Harvard Radcliffe Dance Companydid a rendition of "Tom's Diner" by Suzanne Vega.

Performances from cultural groups were alsoprevalent at the dance festival.

The Philippine Forum Dance Troupe, wearing pinkand purple sequined outfits, stepped in and out ofpounding, shifting sticks moved by other dancers.

At every event, students could rub shoulderswith administrators or with alums such as Lithgow.

When Noam I. Weinstein '99 performed in theLoker coffeehouse, Dean of the College Harry R.Lewis '68 sat on the side of the room with his hatin his lap.

"He's a computer science student of mine, but Ihad no idea he sang," Lewis said of Weinstein.

Arts First Project Manager Teil Silversteinsaid the performance fair was a great success.

"It's going great guns," she said. "Some of thesites today, you couldn't even get into."

There's More?

Although a great deal of attention went to theperformance fair, Arts First included a host ofother happenings.

As the performance fair was going on, Alisha M.Quintana '99 helped demonstrate wheel-throwing forthe Radcliffe College Ceramics Studio.

"We're doing ceramics demonstrations andletting people do it for themselves," Quintanasaid.

After four hours of working on the two potterywheels, the group had amassed a full table of claycreations.

"We've made more but the little kids got tothem," she said. "They're in the recycling pilenow."

One of the most popular events of the weekendwas the musical King Kong, held in the LoebExperimental Theatre. After the final show onSaturday night, audience members refused to leaveand danced on the stage for nearly an hour.

Another notable event was the annual LowellHouse kazoo performance of Tchaikovsky's 1812Overture. At the climax of the piece,organizers popped balloons to simulate canonswhile the House bell rang in the background.

Arts First also included a mind reader inMather House, an exhibition of candid Polaroidphotos taken Friday in the Yard and a performancetitled West Puppet Side Story.

President's Reception

Saturday night, as rain poured down on theScience Center tent, volunteers, alums and othersgathered for the President's Reception where Hayswas awarded his medal.

Lithgow began the event by recognizingalums--including one Radio City Music HallRockette--who have pursued careers in the arts andreturned for the festival.

Before handing the podium over to Rudenstine,Lithgow made a surprise presentation to honorMayman's 25th year as director of the OFA.

He gave her a bouquet of flowers and broughther to the stage to the sounds of a trumpetfanfare.

Rudenstine then introduced Hays by quoting fromMy Old Man and the Sea, the 1995best-selling book Hays co-wrote with his son abouttheir sailing adventures. He discussed Hay'snumerous accomplishments, including designing setsfor over 50 Broadway shows.

Arts First Executive Producer and member of theBoard of Overseers Winifred White Neisser '74chaired the committee to select the arts medalwinner. Neisser said recipients must do more thansimply show artistic talent.

"We look for a significant contribution in thearts, an altruistic use of the art form," shesaid.

When Hays accepted the medal from Rudenstine,he thanked his wife, Leonora L. Hays.

"This is for a body of work," he said. "I'dlike to see it on the body that did it."

With that, Lithgow led Hays wife to the podiumin her wheelchair and placed the medal around herneck. Two members of the National Theatre for theDeaf then presented a poem with one speaking andone signing.

Community Affair

Arts First provided an opportunity for peopleoutside the Harvard community to celebrate thearts.

Cambridge Mayor Francis H. Duehay '55 marchedin the parade.

"I've been invited to represent the city ofCambridge," he said. "It's important to the citybecause many residents of Cambridge attend."

Director of Programs for the OFA Cathleen D.McCormick, who invites children along with herevery year, brought two of her young neighbors tosee the students' performances.

"It's a great community liaison and anopportunity to see what Harvard Students can do,"she said. "The quality is high and random peoplein the community seem to love it."

Children were a noticeable presence at thefestival. At 1 p.m. Saturday, children packed intoSanders Theatre for a performance a SergeiProkofiev's Peter and the Wolf.

After the CityStep performance in LowellLecture. Hall, a group of children from theFitzgerald School spontaneously burst into theirown City Step inspired piece.

Three of the girls then chanted, "CityStep'sthe bomb. It's fly. It's really neat-o."

CityStep members, whose program gives them thechance to teach area children to dance, said theywere pleased at the opportunity to reach our tothe community again.

"Basically, it's a chance for us to perform infront of the Cambridge community," said CityStepCo-Director Scott A. Taylor. "We bring smiles,enthusiasm and moves."

Mayman said Arts First works to build a bridgebetween Harvard a Cambridge.

"It's allowed us to make connections with thecommunity," she Said. "It's like a big familypicnic."

Another Success

Almost everyone who attended Arts First saidthe festival displayed the vitality of Harvardartistic community.

"[The festival] showcases the incredible talentlevel we have among the student body Lewis said.

"The tremendous variety of performance and artis mind boggling," said University MarshalRichard's M. Hunt, a member of the Arts FirstPlanning Group.

Mayaman said she felt the presence of alumscontributed a great deal to Arts First.

"I'm proud of these people that go on in theart she said. "Students can see what it's like tolead a life in the arts".

Neisser said the event brought on nostalgia forher years at Harvard.

"It's been 25 years since I was anundergraduate," she said. "This just makes me wantto go to college again."

If there was one objection to the festival, itwas that it was impossible to do everything. Inthe early years of Arts First, performance fairevents were held in only five venues. This year,there were 10.

"Everything's too crammed into one weekend,"said Alexander H. Bell '02 "It doesn't make anysense."

Lithgow said he understood how people could bedisappointed they could not do everything.

"We've built in a certain degree of frustrationLithgow said. "It's like a smorgasbord with toomuch food."

Although Mayman said she realizes that nobodycould possibly attend every offering she saidhaving events back to back is the best way toorganize Arts First.

"We've talked about changing it, but we likethat it's focused she said. "It would be hard toget this audience if it were spread out over amonth or even week."

But Mayman said she was open to changes in thefestival.

"One of the key things is that it shouldcontinue to evolve," she said. "It should have aheart, be thriving thins, not just a formulathat's imposed or should grow out of a reality."CrimsonMelissa K. CrockerTOOT YOUR OWN HORN:DOROTHY AUSTIN,Lowell House Co-Master accompanies students inLowell House on the kazoo. The informal group ofhouse residents performed the 1812 Overtureyesterday afternoon.

of Overseers--founded the festival.

What a Day

There's More?

President's Reception

Community Affair

Another Success

What a Day

There's More?

President's Reception

Community Affair

Another Success

There's More?

President's Reception

Community Affair

Another Success