Opening Their Doors

By Jenny E. Heller

The future is coming and Radcliffe's Bunting Institute has heard its clarion call. The Bunting Institute may be losing some of its flavor as a research institute for women by including men, but it will be gaining a powerful partner in Harvard--if and when a merger happens.

By opening its doors to men, the institute is taking the high ground on the issue of gender discrimination. The days of sex-based exclusion on the part of both Harvard and Radcliffe are long over. Gone are the days when Lamont was closed to Cliffies, and the Bunting Institute has realized that it too must change with the times.

Hopefully the change will not substantially alter the nurturing atmosphere for women for which the Bunting has been famous. Though some Bunting scholars have expressed concern about what the inclusion of men might do to the uniqueness of the Institute, we hope that it will not cause a drastic change in the Bunting's current community. While staying true to Title IX and the practice of equality, the Bunting should also stay true to its mission--to provide a comfortable place for scholars to pursue their work. Men and women working together in such an atmosphere will promote equality in such a way that exclusion never could.

The Bunting is wise to protect itself from legal challenges under Title IX which prevents educational institutions from discriminating on the basis of gender. The institute has too good a reputation to get entangled in a legal battle should any spurned male applicant decide to litigate.

If this change will pave the way for a Harvard-Radcliffe merger after 10 months of secret sessions--Harvard is now assured that its endowment will not be challenged by a discrimination lawsuit--all the better.

If there is a lesson to be learned from this announcement, it is that traditions can change and grow just as institutions do. The Bunting Institute is ensuring its survival by admitting men, and by opening its doors it is opening a window to what the future of Harvard-Radcliffe could look like.

Although it is uncertain whether the Bunting will remain a predominantly female institution, its future ideally includes a supportive community for both women and men scholars. Now, wouldn't that be nice?

We think so, and we are glad the Bunting agrees.