Admissions Yield at 79.7%, Highest in 25 Years

* Up 0.6%, rate surpasses Ivy League, nation

By Jason M. Goins, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Capping off a year that saw a record number of early action applicants, early action acceptances and a near-record number of applicants overall, Harvard maintained its dominance in getting accepted students to enroll, with the highest yield among the nation's colleges at 79.7 percent, up 0.6 percent from last year.

This year's yield is the highest it has been in 25 years and will likely prevent the University from accepting anyone from the waiting list, according to a news release from the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.

Yield is a widely used measure of an institution's competitiveness.

But while the 79.7 percent figure represents the overall yield for the class, members of some minority groups do not appear to be as enticed by an acceptance letter from Harvard.

The yield for Asian-American members of the class of 2003 is 84.3 percent--285 students--up slightly from 84.2 percent last year.

African-American student yield dipped from 71.2 to 64.7 percent. Out of 201 African-American admits, 130 have said they will enroll in the fall.

According to Fitzsimmons, 70.8 percent of admitted Mexican-American students have accepted Harvard's offer, up from 61.9 percent. Numbers for Hispanic- American students fell from 84.2 percent last year to 76.8 this year.

Last year, 92.3 percent of Native American students said yes--12 enrollees out of 13 admissions. This year, 62 percent assented, 13 out of 21. The yield for Puerto Rican students held steady at 71.4 percent, or 25 student, both years.

Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid William R. Fitzsimmons '67 said the ethnic yields "never" mirror those from the entire class.

"They actually vary a great deal," Fitzsimmons said. "Asian-American students usually yield above the overall average, African-American yield tends to be the lowest."

Fitzsimmons said the yield for African-American students in recent years has fluctuated between a low of 53 percent to a high over 70 percent.

Fitzsimmons explained the year's difference in the minority matriculation rates by noting the small number of students these statistics cover. He also cited the higher intensity with which some minority students are pursued by other institutions.

"The more important issue really has to do with the recruiting that takes place. For example, African-American students tend to be among the most highly desired and recruited students," he said.

Fitzsimmons said other schools give non-need-based aid and college-visit subsidies, incentives Harvard does not offer.

Still, Fitzsimmons said the College's generous financial aid policies attracted many admitted students. In September, Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles increased financial aid payouts by $2,000.

"Virtually every other institution in the country also instituted a new financial aid program," he said. "In that kind of a world we have been able to maintain this yield in the face of what amounted to a restructuring of financial aid at virtually every one of our competitors. Without that, we would not want to think about what might have happened."

While the breakdown of students based on household earnings has not been compiled yet, Fitzsimmons said preliminary data indicates that the class will be at least as economically diverse as the class will be at least as economically diverse as the class of 2002.

"The financial aid office was once again inundated with calls from admitted students and their parents," Fitzsimmons said. "Last year around 47 percent were on scholarship aid. It certainly appears we will be at least in that range."

The gender breakdown for the class of 2003 will also look much like its immediate Harvard Yard predecessors. 47 percent of matriculating students are female, where last year saw 46.7.

Of the continuing string of good news from Byerly Hall, Fitzsimmons repeated an old refrain: "This certainly appears to be the best class we've ever had."

"Maybe we sound like a broken record and our credibility gets strained," he continued, "but we have very high hopes for this class, greatness in the next four years and greatness for the next 80.