Honorands Include Cartoonist, Economist

The University Marshal's office held its annual dinner to honor the candidates for honorary degrees in Annenberg Hall last night.

Every year, the President of Harvard confers these degrees, which will be announced today, on luminaries ranging from famous artists and cartoonists to economists.

Receiving honorary degrees in this morning's ceremony are: Kenneth J. Arrow, Bernard Bailyn, Herbert Block, Louise Bourgeois, Andrew F. Brimmer, David R. Cox, Alan Greenspan, Julia Kristeva and Mario Vargas Llosa.

This year's candidates feasted on prosciutto di parma with fresh figs, asparagus and loin of veal with morilles while the Harvard-Radcliffe Collegium Musicum performed.

Kenneth J. Arrow

Arrow, a professor of economics at Stanford University, shared the Nobel Prize for economics in 1972.

He is most famous for his Ph.D. dissertation in which he proves the "Impossibility Theorem," and he is among the first economists to note the existence of the learning curve.

A graduate of the City College of New York, Arrow has also authored numerous books including The Economic Implications of Learning By Doing. He will receive a Doctorate of Laws.

Bernard Bailyn

Bailyn has taught at Harvard since 1949 and isthe Adams University Professor and Phillipsprofessor of early American history, emeritus. Heis best known for his original research on thesocial history of colonial America.

A graduate of Williams College, Bailyn alsoserved as the director of the Charles WarrenCenter for Studies in American History.

Bailyn, who has won both the Pulitzer andBancroft Prizes for his work, was also named the1998 Jefferson Lecturer by the National Endowmentof the Humanities, the nation's highest honor forscholars in the humanities. He will be awarded aDoctorate of Laws.

Herbert Block

Pulitzer Prize-winning political cartoonistHerbert "Herblock" Block has been drawing hisopinion for about 70 years.

Best known for his career at the WashingtonPost, Block coined such terms as "McCarthyism." Hebegan as an editorial page cartoonist for theChicago Daily News when he was 19.

Block will receive a Doctorate of Arts.

Louise Bourgeois

An artist known for her work outside themainstream, French-born sculptor Louise Bourgeoishas won acclaim during a career that has spannedsix decades.

Once a student at the Sorbonne University inParis and a graduate of the Ecole des Beaux Arts,Bourgeois received an honorary degree from YaleUniversity in 1977. In 1984, she was named anOfficer of Arts and Letters by the French Ministryof Culture. In 1997 she won a National Medal ofArts. She will receive a Doctorate of Arts fromHarvard.

Andrew F. Brimmer

The president of Brimmer & Company, Inc.Brimmer is a professor of economics at theUniversity of Massachusetts, Amherst. A prolificauthor, Brimmer is also the former chair of theWashington, D.C. financial control board.

He was educated at the University of Washingtonand received a Ph.D at Harvard in 1957. He was thefirst black member of the Board of Governors ofthe Federal Reserve System from 1966 to 1974.

Brimmer has also been a visiting professor atHarvard Business School. He has served two termson the Harvard Board of Overseers and was therecipient of the Harvard Medal in 1995. He willreceive a Doctorate of Laws.

David R. Cox

A graduate of St. John's College and CambridgeUniversity, Cox is currently a fellow of theImperial College of Science, Technology andMedicine, University of London.

For 25 years Cox was the editor of Biometrika,a statistical journal, and he recently finished aterm as president of the International StatisticalInstitute.

Cox, who was awarded the Kettering Prize andGold Medal for Cancer Reasearch in 1990, willreceive a Doctorate of Science.

Alan Greenspan

Commencement Day speaker Alan Greenspan willreceive an honorary Doctorate of Laws.

Greenspan currently chairs the Board of theFederal Reserve System. Credited for much of thenation's economic strength in recent years,Greenspan has served as chair since 1987.

The American Institute for Public Servicepresented Greenspan with the Thomas JeffersonAward in 1976. Greenspan was previously chair ofthe President's Council of Economic Advisors. In1948, Greenspan graduated summa cum laude with abachelor's degree in economics from New YorkUniversity.

Julia Kristeva

Kristeva, the director of the Doctoral Programin Language, Literatures and Civilizations at theUniversity of Paris, is a noted literary theoristand linguist.

She is a graduate of the University of Sofia,in Bulgaria, and is among the first theorists toexamine the implications of the structurallinguistics of poetics.

Now a practicing psychoanalyst, Kristeva willreceive a Doctorate of Laws.

Mario Vargas Llosa

Llosa, a native of Peru, is a recipient of theNational Book Critics Circle Award and theCervantes prize for literature, among othershonors. He has written over 12 novels, includingThe War of the End of the World.

In 1990, the writer made a bid for the Peruvianpresidency, but won only one-third of the vote.The election culminated in a dictatorship in Peruand forced Llosa to live a life of exile.

Llosa received his B.A. at the UniversidadNacional Mayor de San Marcos in Lima and hisdoctorate at Universidad Complutense in Madrid.

Llosa came to Harvard in 1992 as the Robert F.Kennedy visiting professor. He will be receiving aDoctorate of Letters

Bernard Bailyn

Herbert Block

Block will receive a Doctorate of Arts.

Louise Bourgeois

Andrew F. Brimmer

David R. Cox

Alan Greenspan

Julia Kristeva

Mario Vargas Llosa