Kennedy School Receives $18M Alum Donation

Biggest gift ever from KSG alum to fund new center

By James Y. Stern, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

The University will today announce a gift of $18 million for the creation of a new center at the Kennedy School of Government (KSG) dedicated to the study of human rights. The donation, the biggest ever by a KSG graduate, is one of a number of recent large gifts that appear to be clinching the overall success of the University's $2.1 billion capital campaign in its final six months.

Gregory C. Carr--the former chair of Prodigy, Inc. and a 1986 graduate of KSG--pledged $18 million in conjunction with his foundation to help start the new human rights center, which will bear his name. The gift will provide the center with an endowment and money to pay for facilities and a professorship.

The Carr Center will examine the effects of policies and actions of governments and other bodies in shaping human rights around the globe.

"The human rights movement is gaining a lot of momentum worldwide," Carr said. "But there is not a lot of university involvement yet, providing an analytical approach and telling us which strategies make the most sense. Every day when you read the newspaper, human rights is on the front page--this is the right time for the Kennedy School to weigh in on the subject."

"What Harvard does not want to be is another activist human rights organization," Carr said. "The center will research the methods, practices, policies and philosophies of those organizations."

The Center, which was not originally a goal of the Campaign, will take approximately two years to be established fully with its professorships filled and a new home outside its temporary headquarters in the Belfer Center in the KSG,according to Joseph S. Nye Jr., KSG dean.

"Human rights policy is an enormously importantissue, and since the Kennedy School's mission isto train leaders, it's something our students needto understand," Nye said. "It's an idea whose timehas come, and we're just delighted to be able tomove ahead on this."

Carr said he has been involved in human rightsfor several years and met Chinese dissident HarryWu in 1995. While there is some scholarship ofhuman rights at various law schools, he said, theyapproach the issue only in terms of the law.

KSG, Carr said, offered the opportunity to lookat human rights "in a multidisciplinary way."

Carr approached KSG about the issue, and, hesaid, "they were receptive."

For the last year, KSG has been carrying out aprototype human rights initiative, funded by Carr.

Carr said he has been "very impressed" with theprogram, and its success convinced him to donatemoney for the center.

Carr is the co-founder of Boston Technology,Inc. and served as its CEO and then chair of theboard. In 1996, he took over as chair of Prodigy,but sold a portion of his interests in theinternet services company earlier this year inorder to found the Carr foundation.

Moving Right Along

Since the beginning of the capital campaign inMay 1994, Harvard has raised $2.026 billion,according to the University Development Office.Most areas of the University have reached orsurpassed their campaign goals.

About 85 percent of living Harvard alumni havedonated money to the campaign, bringing the numberof donors to 146,000.

Recently the University has received severallarge gifts that significantly boosted the grandtotal.

While all of the 40 endowed professorships havenot yet been funded, Latin American Studies is nowtwo professorships richer. David Rockefeller '36and Monique and Philip Lehner each donated $3.5million to endow two chairs affiliated with theDavid Rockefeller Center for Latin AmericanStudies--one of the school's many cross-schoolinternational programs.

The chairs are reserved for professors who havecontributed significantly to the study of LatinAmerica--in areas as diverse as foreign policy,culture and economics.

The Lehner Professorship for the Study of LatinAmerica will be based in the Faculty of Arts andSciences (FAS).

"We hope this professorship may help to bringto light answers and solutions that will benefitLatin Americans and bring improvements to thearea," said Philip Lehner '46 in a press release.He will serve on the Advisory Committee of theRockefeller Center, founded in 1994.

Rockefeller's gift--the second University-wideprofessorship he has endowed for the program--willbe named for President Neil L. Rudenstine when hesteps down from his current post. Until then, astradition dictates, it will be the Rockefellerprofessorship.

"Neil's commitment to Latin America isindisputable," Rockefeller said in a pressrelease. "We were partners in creating the center,and I thought it would be fitting that aUniversity- wide professorship be named in honorof someone who was in a very real sense aco-founder of the center."

Rockefeller emphasized that the chairs will beopen to professors from all disciplines.

"The interests that the United States has inLatin America are very broad and cover every fieldfrom medicine to law to the arts and sciences, andtherefore to have two professorships that could befilled at any time, not necessarily in the Facultyof Arts and Science," is ideal, Rockefeller said.

Odds and Ends

In other campaign news, the libraries are now$3 million closer to their $78 million goal. Thedonation made by Harriet Weissman and Paul M.Weissman '52 will go to the UniversityPreservation Center, which repairs and conservesHarvard's books. The center will now bear theWeissman name.

"The Weissman gift will secure the ability ofHarvard to preserve its priceless collections ofbooks and manuscripts," Director of the UniversityLibrary Sidney H. Verba '53 wrote in an e-mailmessage. "The Harvard collection is one of thegreatest in the world and that creates anobligation on the University to protect it forcurrent use and for future generations."

The $78 million, of which $52 million has beenraised, includes money for renovations to theindividual libraries, such as Widener, anddonations to the University Library system thatoversees them.

Verba said those working on the librarycampaign are "not as far as we would like to be,but accelerating as we come down to the laststretch."

Another campaign area lagging behind--thePresident's Academic Initiative, Rudenstine'sdiscretionary fund--has raced ahead in the lastsix months. Alumni have given over $28 million tobring the total to $94 million, $31 million shortof its goal. A $20 million challenge fund wascreated by Harvard's Governing Boards to spurdonors to give to the fund

Moving Right Along

Odds and Ends