Blazing Your Own Trail to Happiness

By Maria S. Shim, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Coming to Harvard was somewhat of a culture shock. Born and raised in San Francisco, the idea of transplanting myself 3,000 miles seemed exciting and different. Most of the people I knew were either going to University of California at Berkeley or Stanford; my best friend and I chose to go to East Coast schools, Georgetown and Harvard respectively. It was supposed to be some kind of statement of independence. I was out at school on my own, and theoretically I was supposed to start at the bottom again: being a first-year, trying out new activities, finding new friends.

My first impressions of Harvard were less than favorable. I was welcomed by oppressive humidity as I lugged two heavy suitcases, a laptop, and a violin up four flights of stairs to the top floor of Hollis South (I do not travel lightly). I realized two things then. One: everyone else but me and one international student had parents there, helping them move in and get settled, and two: UPS had lost the ten boxes I had sent from home. Needless to say, I was not happy that first night. I had never felt so alone.

After that auspicious beginning, I was determined to make the best of the situation. I didn't tell my parents that my boxes hadn't arrived yet because they would have worried, and I tried to bring some normalcy to my life. That included ignoring orientation week altogether. I didn't go to any of the Freshman Week events; instead, I tried to focus on things that would make life more normal for me. I flipped through the course catalog to figure out what courses I wanted to take, oriented myself around Harvard Square, and looked through the Unofficial Guide to Life at Harvard to find out what student groups looked interesting, which is actually how I first discovered the business board of The Crimson. In retrospect, I think I was shell-shocked. By not participating in orientation week, I was trying not to admit that I was at the bottom of the food chain again and in unfamiliar territory. I wanted to be in California with my friends and family and was truly dreading what everyone proclaimed was going to be "the worst winter in history," not to mention my first white winter.

Despite my unwillingness to conform, I eventually did and became accustomed to the changes in my life. In my first semester, I joined the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra and comped The Crimson. I had been heavily involved in a student-run organization in high school and wanted to be part of another one. I found that I really enjoyed being part of The Crimson and was very interested in business, so second semester, I became an operations/finance associate. A year later, I became finance manager and I still enjoy it!

There were a lot of changes, but some things stayed the same. My roommate hails from Long Island, yet she can pull a Valley accent better than I can! I found some good friends among the people who lived in my dorm and generally had a very good time after that first rough month getting used to people and living with them. I found an activity I truly enjoyed, witnessed my first Primal Scream (I still shudder), chose a concentration, and found love at the First-Year Formal. There was also the drama of "blocking." I prayed each night before the housing lottery that I wouldn't get "Quadded." Fortunately, I ended up in Quincy House, which I liked for several different reasons, one being that it doesn't have the pretentious aura that some Houses are known to have and that Harvard is typically notorious for from an outside perspective.

My first year was definitely an experience to remember, mostly for good reasons. My second year was memorable in its own way, but the first year is still certainly something to cherish as it was the first time in my life I was on my own. I still haven't returned to Hollis South to visit, mostly for sentimental reasons, but I definitely remember it fondly. My piece of advice: do what you have to do to find your place here. (If you are from California, buy a nice, warm coat and dream of home in the summertime. It will get you through the winter.) My way was to explore on my own and find what made me happy; you should find your own way. Harvard has a lot to offer, as I'm sure everyone has told you, so find something you'll love for the next four years, something that will help you with your own personal development. Four years will fly by in a breeze. Enjoy your experience here!

Maria Shim '00 is the finance manager of The Crimson.