Tenure Denial Unfair

Letters

To the editors:

A report from the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) Standing Committee on the Status of Women has demonstrated that women constitute only 22 percent of Harvard's senior faculty in humanities departments. Despite this egregious disparity, there haven't been any signs of willingness to change this situation.

The recent decision to deny tenure to Professor Beatrice Hanssen (News, May 24) is shocking. Given Hanssen's role as an eminent scholar, teacher, administrator and member of the Harvard community, her denial of tenure is hard to comprehend. She is an established and internationally recognized critic and scholar.

Hanssen's contribution has far surpassed the realm of the lecture hall. Her role in Harvard's intellectual and administrative life has been exceptional. She has been indefatigable in the establishment of colloquia and conferences which bring renowned scholars together for discussions on contemporary political, literary and ethical issues. Administratively, Hanssen is a member of the Committee on Women's Studies, the Committee on Special Concentrations and, ironically, the FAS Standing Committee on the Status of Women. Clearly, Hanssen, in her multiple capacities, has had an immense institutional impact.

Hanssen's denial of tenure is bewildering, shocking and disappointing to many in the Harvard community. We hope that the University will be willing to reconsider its decision. MIKE SMITH,   NILIZANDR E. M. GILBERT '99   May 24, 1999 Smith is a student at Harvard Divinity School.