Alleged B.U. Rapist Released on Bail

By Kirsten G. Studlien, Crimson Staff Writer

A Boston University (BU) first-year was raped at knife-point on Sunday in the bathroom of her dorm room by an attacker who emerged from behind the shower curtain. Abdelmajid Akouk, 32, was charged with the crime and released Monday on $75,000 bail.

"This is an isolated incident, and a very unusual incident," said BU Police Lieutenant Robert Molloy. "No one has reported anything like this before."

Akouk allegedly took the girl to her bedroom and raped her again while holding a knife to her throat, according to the Boston Globe.

Akouk was arraigned Monday in Roxbury District Court and paid his $75,000 bail. Akouk's Moroccan passport has been confiscated.

The girl's stepfather, Thomas Branchini, told the Boston Globe that the incident has been highly distressing and that it will take time and counseling to heal.

"She was very excited about going to school. She was looking for a new beginning," Branchini said. "She is emotionally distraught and I don't think she even realizes yet how serious this is. All we want to do is get her professional help."

Despite the rape, most students at BU have said that they feel relatively safe in their dorms.

The student told the Globe said that she and her roommate have been lax about keeping their door locked at night. "We usually feel pretty safe and leave the door unlocked," she said, adding that on Sunday night the dorm held a meeting about the assault.

At this point, Akouk and his lawyer have denied his involvement in the crime, saying this is a case of mistaken identity.

"I know him. He is a gentle man," Akouk's wife, Stacey Simon, told the Globe. "By focusing on this man, police have let the real attacker go, and, as a woman, that disturbs me."

Akouk has been charged with aggravated rape, kidnapping and armed assault. A hearing will be held on Oct. 12.