Wilford's Wait Pays Off

By Bryan Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

I thought Harvard Coach Tim Murphy would squirm, or look away, at the least. On the other hand, it was no surprise that the question was coming.

So, coach, who would be the starting quarterback? With no hesitation, he looked me right in the eye and said, "We have decided on a number one for Columbia. It's Brad Wilford."

"It feels good because of all the hard work I put in," Wilford said. "It sometimes seemed hopeless, having a classmate who had started since freshman year. Everyone's happy for me, but it's not me versus Rich. I think the team is happy with either."

With that, a chapter in Harvard football history might have been closed, although it's too early to count senior quarterback Rich Linden out for good. Linden, a Harvard staple since he became the first freshman starting quarterback in school history, was benched.

And boy, was he. Murphy said Linden "certainly will get a series," which is like telling a starving man he can have a bite. Linden can't be very happy being like Chris Rock, begging for just...one...rib.

"Certainly get a series" for someone who led Harvard to a 9-1 (7-0 Ivy) '97 campaign that resulted in the Crimson's first Ivy championship in 10 years. "Certainly get a series" for the second-leading passer in school history.

Linden battled through ankle and throwing shoulder injuries last year, injuries that kept him from putting much zip on the ball. Too many of his throws bounced far short or, in a fit of overcompensation, sailed high.

"I don't know if the injuries hurt my chances," Linden said. "I worked hard this summer to rehab my shoulder and ankle, I think they gave both of us a fair look, and Brad's playing well right now."

Linden began last season 10-of-17 for only 60 yards and two interceptions in a 24-0 loss at Columbia. He threw a pair of picks in each of the first three games, completed only 4-of-12 in horrible weather against Cornell, and was 5-of-10 before being yanked at halftime against Holy Cross.

After the first, temporary benching, Linden had three solid games in a row before his costly fumble at the Harvard 15 with the Crimson leading in The Game, 7-6. Of course, Yale went on to win, 9-7, in what Murphy described as the toughest loss of his career.

Linden completed 51 percent of his passes last year for 1,201 yards, but his 3-to-8 touchdown-to-interception ratio was unacceptable. Nevertheless, he trails only Tom Yohe '89 in career passing yards and is second in career completion percentage and touchdown passes.

I trace Linden's career by the annual Holy Cross game. After all, he made his debut as a starter against the Crusaders in '96, going 12-of-22 for 175 yards and two touchdowns in a 28-25 win. It was a big splash, his entry onto the Harvard football scene.

In '97, the magical year when Harvard scored more points than any other Crimson squad this century, Linden blistered Holy Cross for three touchdown runs, a career-high 272 yards passing and a touchdown pass in a 52-24 pasting that epitomized Harvard's dominance that year. It was Linden--and Harvard football--at its peak.

But last year, the wall of confidence that surrounded Linden fell when he was pulled at the half against (surprise!) Holy Cross.

Wilford patiently bided his time as Linden's backup before getting serious playing time last year. He ended the year having completed 23-of-50 passes for 218 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions. His numbers weren't that impressive, but the throws he was able to make definitely were.

Some on the team whispered last year that Wilford should be starting--he certainly has a more powerful arm--but Murphy's loyalty and Linden's ability to make things happen on game day kept that from happening.

After getting his chance in the second half against Holy Cross, Wilford completed his first five passes and ended up 10-of-16 for 98 yards and a touchdown in Harvard's 20-14 overtime win.

Murphy has always maintained that he wants a clear No. 1 to emerge. It seems that he got what he wants.

Both quarterbacks have strengths and weaknesses, and if he could, I'm sure I'm sure Murphy would combine them into one.

Linden's smaller (6'0, 180 lbs.), but he's also more agile. He can scramble and avoid the rush better than Wilford (6'3, 220), and he is a legitimate running threat as well. Linden's better at running the option and is more spontaneous, although he sometimes tries to do too much, as in The Game.

But Wilford can do things Linden cannot. Wilford's arm is stronger, and he can throw deep and to the sidelines with authority. He threw one pass last year that almost knocked the receiver down, and the only reason the wideout caught it was self-defense. Wilford's also big enough to stay tall in the pocket when things break down.

Murphy said what he saw was a simple matter of the cream rising to the top. Linden peaked early but hasn't improved markedly in recent years. Wilford, on the other hand, took more time but has continued to improve.

The playing time shows that trend. Linden played in eight games as a freshman, Wilford none. Linden led Harvard to the title as a sophomore, while Wilford threw three passes. Now, Linden will get a series, and Wilford will be the man.

The offense looked more explosive with Wilford at the helm last year, and the team has had some time to adjust to the news. Although it's got to be painful for Murphy, he doesn't feel he has a choice.

It's natural to feel bad for Linden. He's given a lot to the program and now, in his senior season, is being shown the pine.

But he's kept a good attitude about it, possibly remembering that he displaced Jay Snowden, a junior, at quarterback in '96. Unlike Snowden, however, Linden isn't going to be switched to free safety, and if he gets his chance, I'm sure Linden will play more like he did in '97 than '98.

"I would like to be the starter, but it's not my decision to make," Linden said. "I'm looking forward to taking advantage of any opportunities I get. Obviously I'm disappointed, but I'm not ready to jump off a bridge or anything like that. There's not a lot you can do, I competed like hell."