HUDS Releases New Pocket ID Pal

By Victoria C. Hallett, Crimson Staff Writer

"What's crimson and orange and read all over?"

According to Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) and University Hall, the answer is the Harvard University Pocket ID Pal.

The two organizations joined forces this year to put out a credit card-sized paper book, featuring a card pouch, a directory of University phone numbers, referrals to counseling services and dining services information.

But although the new card carriers disseminate more information than the plastic card carriers which used to sit on checker's tables, some students are not happy about the change.

About five years ago, when HUDS introduced the card swipe system, they started printing "Student Pals," plastic ID holders with a keychain attached.

Assistant Director for Marketing and Communications for HUDS Alixandra E. McNitt said the evolution in these ID card "pals" was driven by a need to put more information at student's fingertips.

"A little more than a year ago we got into a discussion with the dean of students' office on how to get information out to students," McNitt said. "We made an offer--'If you want to jump in on this, we can put dining services on one side and the University's numbers on the other.'"

After this collaboration--which produced double-sided plastic "pals" last year, McNitt said HUDS became interested in extending their ability to spread information to students in a new format.

"We became aware of this different vehicle which was more cost effective and allowed us to put more information on it," she said.

Rather than the two sides of the original Student Pal, the Pocket ID Pal offers 14 pages of phone numbers.

These include categories like police and medical emergencies, counseling and drugs and alcohol, as well as transportation options, dining information and brief descriptions of BoardPlus and Crimson Cash.

Publications and Communications Director for HUDS Christa Martin said HUDS went ahead with the change partially because they thought students were no longer using the Student Pals.

"At one time it was popular, but it was declining," Martin said.

In terms of their research, Martin said they spoke with students and watched what people were using in the dining halls.

"I talked to students, and it wasn't something they used or even knew about," Martin said. "[Changing] seemed like the right choice."

Martin said the switch to the "Pocket ID Pal" also saves the University thousands of dollars and allows them to print more pals.

Only 5,000 of the old pals were printed at once, intended to serve first-years and anybody else who could grab them. The new pals were handed out to first-years along with their IDs, but 7,000 of the new book pals were printed, meaning that basically any student or affiliate that wants a pal can have one.

But not everyone is rushing to get their hands on the new pals.

Adams House checker Lucy F. Mediros, who uses the Student Pal, said student reaction has been extremely negative.

"Students don't like this kind," she said. "Students say, 'Why don't you have these [plastic] things? Do you have more?'"

Students eating dinner in Adams House dining hall last night were unanimous in their dislike of the new pals. Gregory A Hudson '02 said he would never use a Pocket ID Pal.

"Taking your card out of your wallet and out of your pal is excessive," he said. "I'm a lazy man."

Other students also remain loyal to the plastic carriers.

"I stocked up [on the plastic ones] because I know they run out," Jon G. Brinton '01 said. "I put them in storage over the summer."