Financial Aid Office Appoints New Director

Donohue to fill post vacated by Miller last fall

By Tova A. Serkin, Crimson Staff Writer

After five months without a financial aid director, Byerly Hall will soon be welcoming a new face.

On Feb. 1 Sally Donohue will become Harvard College's newest director of financial aid.

Currently the director of career services at Harvard Law School (HLS), Donohue has also served as the law school's director of financial aid and is a national expert on the subject.

"We're proud of how we've developed our system," said Director of Admissions Marlyn McGrath-Lewis '70-'73, "but it will be helpful to have someone with such experience."

After 20 years of service, former director James S. Miller left the department of financial aid last September to work in development at Brown University, and a committee began a nationwide search for his replacement.

But they found what they were looking for in their own backyard.

Donohue served once before at the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid in the 1980s, but she has also spent over 12 years at HLS. Additionally, she has given workshops at numerous national financial aid organizations.

"We were delighted to get someone of her stature," said Associate Dean of Harvard College David P. Illingworth '71, who has worked in Byerly Hall and served on the search committee.

"She has participated extensively in national meetings and seminars," said Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid William R. Fitzsimmons '67. "This was one of the things people [on the search committee] felt they were interested in."

In addition to her work at HLS, Donohue has also served as a first-year proctor and academic adviser in addition to being a Harvard parent. McGrath-Lewis said that while Harvard connections were certainly not enough to secure the position, they are helpful.

"For one thing it means she understands and appreciates the College," she said. "She understands the premium we place on need-blind admissions on one hand and need-based financial aid on the other hand."

McGrath-Lewis explained Harvard's financial aid as "unusual" and said that Donohue will be better equipped to understand it.

"We don't do merit awards," she said. "We regard financial aid as a tool in our strategy for enrollment."

Donohue counts being a Harvard parent as one of the advantages she'll have in her job. She can truly relate to those she will be working with.

"As a parent I bring to the office a deeper understanding of the sacrifices families make," Donohue said. "There is nothing like experiencing something at the personal level to understand what people go through."

"I do feel quite strongly that Harvard offers a lot to a wide variety of people," she added. "The sacrifice families are making are well worth it."

Fitzsimmons pointed to another important quality that the search committee looked for in candidates. Personability and sensitivity are crucial, he said, for people working in student service areas.

"The director here has another role, one which may be unique to Harvard," he said. "She'll have a role in the admissions process."

Donohue will also need to be a "team leader" in an office with a close-knit staff.

"She'll be a wonderful colleague, fine administrator, and a terrific team leader," McGrath-Lewis said. "We pride on ourselves on our ability to work as a team and serve Harvard students graciously."

All looks good for Donohue as she gets ready for her new role. Byerly Hall will be glad to have a new director, and Donohue said she is glad to back.

"The professional staff is really superb but it will be a great relief to all of us to have a financial aid director, as well as a pleasure," McGrath-Lewis said.

Donohue said she is eagerly awaiting her new job.

"I'm feeling tremendously excited, returning to work at the undergraduate office," she said. "I feel passionate about working with students or I wouldn't have done it for the last 20 years."