Habitat Offers Up Free Ice Cream

By Colin K. Jost, Contributing Writer

Harvard Habitat for Humanity harnessed the power of Ben & Jerry's ice cream yesterday afternoon, attracting hundreds of hungry passers-by with free scoops, while spreading the word on affordable, low-income housing.

From 1 to 4 p.m., representatives from Ben & Jerry's scooped and distributed three flavors of ice cream: "Half Baked," "Nutty Waffle Cone" and "Everything But The . . ." in the parking lot of the Fox final club.

The wacky flavors reflected a generally buoyant atmosphere.

"This is fantastic," said Daniel D. Sedgwick '03. "Someone just handed me a flyer about the free ice cream, and I came right over."

In addition to the ice-cream giveaway, the day's events included a free raffle with shirts and mugs for prizes and a Pint-athlon Ice Cream Eating Contest.

After signing a liability waiver, Pint-athlon participants downed a pint of ice cream as fast as they could. The winner received--what else?--a free pint of ice cream.

H. Wells Wulsin '01, co-director of Harvard's Habitat program, considered the day a total success.

"We wanted to raise awareness about Habitat and about affordable housing in Boston. And, of course, we're always happy to get this many eager people involved," he said.

One of those enthusiasts is Thomas A. Kim '01, who decided to join the Habitat mailing list after enjoying his frozen treat.

"I had heard about Habitat before, but I never knew there were students doing it at Harvard," Kim said.

Currently, Harvard Habitat sends about 15 students into the Boston area each weekend to build affordable housing for low-income families. Harvard has one of over 600 college Habitat chapters around the globe.

Harvard Habitat set up a large donation jar at the ice cream giveaway, which was filled to the brim with dollar bills by the end of the day. The group also sold Habitat T-shirts for $10 a piece.

The event mirrored other Ben & Jerry's giveaways across the country, all aimed at raising awareness of and participation in the Habitat program.

Lou Delatorre, a truck driver for Ben & Jerry's and a New Jersey resident, has been with the Habitat campaign since September, visiting colleges in Jersey and New York before arriving in Massachusetts.

"It's great to see that people can have a social responsibility and still have fun at the same time," Delatorre enthused.

The ice cream trucks will now move down the East Coast, hitting the Baltimore/D.C. area before ending up in Miami. Ben & Jerry's is waging a similar campaign on the west coast, as well.

"It's great that Ben & Jerry's supports the Habitat program," said Daniel Droller '02, . "We're very grateful for their help."

Ben & Jerry's, a company whose mission statement includes dedication to philanthropy, has only recently combined forces with the Habitat community.

"This is our first nationwide activity together, but we share many goals, especially helping lower-income families find affordable housing," explained Betsy Ehrman, a spokesperson from the Varsity Group, a Washington, D.C.-based firm that represents Ben & Jerry's.

According to Delatorre, the tour has signed up hundreds of new Habitat volunteers at other college campuses including 600 at Rutgers University alone.

The festivities continue outside the Science Center today from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., where Habitat will host an empty-pint quarter toss. Anyone who lands a coin in the middle container will win a free pint of Ben & Jerry's.