Radcliffe Marks End of $100M Capital Campaign

By Joyce K. Mcintyre, Crimson Staff Writer

Radcliffe has readied itself for a flurry of activity this weekend, and the events started yesterday with a symposium entitled "Gender and Inquiry."

Today, board members of the Radcliffe College Alumnae Association (RCAA) will vote on whether to change its name to the Radcliffe Association--dropping the words "College" and "alumnae."

Changes in RCAA's bylaws that make the name change possible were approved at the group's annual meeting last spring, and President of RCAA A'Lelia P. Bundles said she expects the measure to pass. She will need 15 votes out of a potential 22 to change the name.

"We want to welcome fellows [of the new Radcliffe Institute], or other people. We want to be able to reflect our past, but open our arms for other people in the future," Bundles said last spring. "So we propose to change our name to the Radcliffe Association."

Saturday night, Radcliffe personalities and supporters will gather at the Sheraton Commander Hotel to celebrate the end of the Radcliffe's capital campaign--an effort started by Radcliffe College in 1993.

Acting Dean of the Institute Mary Maples Dunn said this week that the campaign topped off at $101 million--$1 million over goal.

In addition to a grant from the Ford Foundation, Dunn said Radcliffe finished the campaign with private donations to endow several fellowships and professorships.