City Halts Development By the Charles River

By Imtiyaz H. Delawala, Crimson Staff Writer

The City Council formally approved a moratorium on development in the Riverside neighborhood, delaying Harvard's plans for a museum on the Charles River.

Councillors passed the Loose Moratorium, effectively halting development on the southern edge of campus for 18 months. The council also passed an order calling for the city to fund a planning study analyzing growth concerns in Riverside.

The University had presented plans to residents for a modern art museum in the neighborhood, but there was vocal opposition. Several residents said development would block open access to the Charles River and would have had adverse traffic and ecological impacts on the area.

Harvard officials have said a moratorium is not needed because they do not plan to begin any construction in the next two years.

But residents last night said the moratorium would give them time to organize a neighborhood group, so that they would feel more secure when listening to Harvard's proposals.

"We want to first form our group so we can make a more unified front," said resident Cob Carlson.

Last night's vote was mostly a formality, since most councillors had said they would support the measure at an ordinance committee meeting this summer. The city planning board, however, recommended last month that the moratorium not be passed.

Councillors voiced almost unanimous support for the moratorium last night, saying the neighborhood needed more time to study the area before accepting development plans.

"This gives the neighborhood some breathing space," said Councillor David P. Maher.

Only Mayor Anthony D. Galluccio did not vote in favor of the moratorium, instead voting as present.

Galluccio said after the meeting that he did not feel a moratorium is the best way to handle planning of the area, and said he supported the stance of the planning board.

"This just puts off making a decision for 18 months," Galluccio said. "At the end, the Council, Harvard and the neighborhood need to roll up their sleeves and come to the best result."

"I don't know if we reached the root issue by putting [discussion] off," Galluccio added. "This isn't an end."

But Galluccio said he understood the Riverside residents' position in favor of the moratorium, saying years of animosity between the neighborhood and Harvard for the building of Peabody Terrace have led to strained relations.

"I feel sympathy with the neighbors. There's hostility there," Galluccio said, explaining why he decided not to vote against the moratorium outright.

Galluccio said that despite the other councillor votes for the moratorium, he said he hopes discussion will still continue on the proposal.

"I do think the Council sent a message that we need to continue the process," Galluccio said.

Harvard's Director of Community Relations, Mary H. Power, said that last month the University would continue to have meetings with residents about the museum proposal and will study concerns about traffic impacts and building design.

University officials could not be reached for comment on the passage of moratorium.

Jack Prescott Loose, who authored the moratorium, said he also hopes an open dialogue will continue between residents and the University.

"I hope this creates a more level playing field so we can engage in an intelligent conversation," Loose said.