Inside and Out, BSA Event Gets Crowd Dancing

By Fabiana Silva, Contributing Writer

The Black Students Association's annual "Apollo Night" elicited a strong response from its audience of more than 400 people Friday night.

The event showcased a variety of Harvard talent, including poetry, comedy, stepping, singing and composing.

As the line outside Lowell Lecture Hall, where the event was held, grew, many people began spontaneously dancing or shouting, even in the absence of music. Hosts Jamie C. Lawrence '03, Karl L. Malloy '03 and Mosi A. Secret '01 further increased the overall energy during the show with their dancing and their requests for the crowd to act "ghetto."

Audience member Uju J. Obi '04 said the show "had so much energy and vibe; it felt like the real Apollo Night."

Following the traditions of the Apollo Theater in New York, Friday's show relied heavily on audience participation. For example, a student dressed as "Sandman" came out to remove an act when the audience, with its shouts of disapproval, demanded that a performing group leave the stage.

The winner of the $100 first prize was decided by the cheers of the crowds when the hosts lined up all the acts on stage at the end of the show.

This year's prize went to the only non-Harvard act, a dance group comprised of high-school junior Adam Collins and eighth-grader Nathaniel Johnson.

In general, the tone of the night was cheerful, but serious issues were discussed as well. Former Black Men's Forum President Peter-Charles N. Bright '01 displayed his passion about racial issues in his poems as he asked, "How are you righting the wrongs of history?"

The audience remained mostly upbeat and animated, expressing everything from cultural pride to Harvard class spirit.

"I was really impressed by it," audience member Nina A. Niamkey '04 said. "I didn't quite know what to expect. I was overwhelmed. It ranged from singing to piano-playing. It got me energetic."

At one point, however, Lawrence had to ask that acts restrict themselves to an "R-rated" level. Some audience members felt a few of the acts were too risque.

"This was a good way for Harvard students to show talent, but it

wasn't appropriate during [first-year] parents' weekend," Dominique C. Deleon '04 said.

However, many parents seemed to enjoy the show.

"It's great," parent Leon W. Tucker said. "It shows what the students are doing collectively, as well as the mindset of studies, hip-hop, social issues, academics and school spirit."

Another father, Warren L. Maye, said, "It was exciting, enthusiastic. I enjoyed it. It was a mixture of tradition and innovation that reflects an African-American approach to post-modern age."

The BSA plans to donate the $1500 it raised from Apollo Night to charity.