Something Old, Something New: Four Join M. Basketball Squad

By Jared R. Small, Contributing Writer

One was leading his San Diego high school team back to the division championships.

Another was working in a law office in his hometown of Chicago.

The last two were right here in Cambridge, waiting in the wings of Lavietes Pavilion as their Harvard teammates took third place in the Ivy League.

That was a year ago, but now Kam Walton, Pat Harvey, Mike Causey and Brian Sigafoos are all donning Crimson uniforms as part of the patchwork newcoming class of 2000-01. The only thing more intriguing than how each arrived in Cambridge is how each will figure into this year's veteran-laden squad.

Walton, a 6'8, 230-pound forward/center, was hand-picked by the Crimson staff as the only freshman recruit. He hails from a basketball-rich lineage-- his uncle, Bill Walton, won NBA championships with the Portland Trail Blazers in 1977 and the Boston Celtics in 1986. Kam's father, Bruce, who is Bill's brother, also made a name for himself in professional sports as a member of the NFL's Dallas Cowboys.

Currently, four Walton boys are playing Division I college basketball, including Kam's cousins Chris (San Diego State), Luke (Arizona), and Nate (Princeton).

"Kam has been fortunate to be exposed to the game like he has," said Harvard head coach Frank Sullivan. "He's a lucky guy but he still has a lot of adjustments to make to the college game."

Sullivan made it clear that he will reserve any accolades for Walton until the initial transition period is over. After all, Kam is a West Coast boy adjusting to the East, a freshman adjusting to the academic rigors of Harvard and a high-school phenom adjusting to the college game all at the same time--that's a lot to handle for anyone.

Just how quickly and effectively Walton will adjust to the speed and strength of primetime basketball is still unknown, but what is for certain is that he has all the right tools.

He has the necessary size to play at the forward position, a pool of basketball wisdom from which to draw and, most importantly, the right work ethic.

"I'll do whatever I have to do to pay my dues," he admits without hesitation.

"I feel like we have the personnel and coaching to win the Ivy League this year."

Walton's realization that he won't immediately be the go-to guy will help him progress. He diverts attention from himself and is quick to praise the coaching staff and players for being "welcoming guys who live and die by basketball."

For someone who grew up surrounded by stars and swamped in accolades--SoCal Hoops named him to its Top 25 Centers/Postmen list earlier this year--Kam exhibits a refreshing sense of humility. His last name certainly brings him attention, but Kam is the first to acknowledge it is his own work that will ultimately determine how much he contributes to the Crimson.

Like Walton, sophomore Mike Causey understands that he will have to battle for playing time in a backcourt that already features Elliot Prasse-Freeman and Drew Gellert.

At the same time, Causey's lethal long-range shooting and experience in the game make him an obvious contender for playing time.

Causey played the first part of the 1998-99 season with Texas Christian University (TCU) before leaving the team and transferring to Harvard. Although he enjoyed the exciting atmosphere that surrounded TCU's nationally ranked program, the native southerner wasn't as pleased with personal matters and the dorm situation.

"The whole thing was a big growing-up experience for me," Causey said, hesitating. "But I came to Harvard because it is one of the best schools in the world and it has an up-and-coming [basketball] program."

As required by the NCAA, Causey was forced to sit on the sidelines last season and watch in street clothes as his teammates played the game he loves. Although he found not playing competitively to be very difficult mentally, Causey worked hard both on the court and in the weight room to prepare for this season. Sullivan considers Causey's training and maturation in the off-season to be even more beneficial than his brief stint with TCU.

"The year out really helped Mike out the most," Sullivan said. "He looks good and [has] really gotten his body into shape."

Sophomore Pat Harvey will also compete for playing time in the backcourt. After playing in 24 games and averaging 3.3 points per game in 1998-99, Harvey had to sit last season out. He returned home to Chicago to work for a lawyer, and took advantage of his time away from the office by working out with several former college players, including his brother, who played at Xavier.

"It was tough being away, but I kept up on [Harvard's] season and I'm stronger and smarter now than I was two years ago," Harvey said.

Like Causey, Harvey is known mostly for his long-range shooting. With the graduation of Damian Long '00, who led the Ivy League last season with 72 three-pointers, both Causey and Harvey could be called upon to shoot the trifecta.

Another void that must be filled is in the rebounding department, as Tim Coleman withdrew from school for the 2000-01 season and took his 7.6 boards per game with him. Brian Sigafoos, a 6'11 center who spent last season on the JV team, should fill at least some of the void left by Coleman. As the tallest player on the roster, the New Jersey native is a much-needed 'true center' for the Crimson squad.

"[Brian] worked hard in the spring and summer on his strength and skill development," Sullivan said.

For now, the four newcomers will continue to compete for playing time in anticipation of opening night on Nov. 21 against Holy Cross. Nothing is set in stone, but each player has the ability to make a unique contribution to the team--Walton with his innate basketball sense and willingness to work, Causey and Harvey with their long-range capability and Sigafoos with his size.

Perhaps, even more intriguing than where these four rookies have come from is where they will be four months from now.