Past Glory Not Far Off for Squash Teams

By Timothy M. Mcdonald, Contributing Writer

The Harvard squash teams have an impressive history with both winning five consecutive national championships during the 1990s.

The men held the national title from1994-1998 while the women held the national crown from1993-1997, but both teams lost a little of that luster, and former Coach William Doyle resigned after the 1998-99 season.

Last year, in the first season under Coach Satinderpal Bajwa, the Crimson went on to have successful years despite tremendous losses to graduation. But ultimately, the squash program at Harvard is judged on the basis of national championships and this year's teams, with a year under Bajwa and a prominent class of recruits, will be held to the highest standard.

"My mission for both the men and the women is to finish the season having maximized his/her potential to the fullest," Bajwa said.

Men

The 1998-99 men's season saw the Crimson finish with a 13-3 record and a first-place finish at the United States Squash Racquets Association (USSRA) Team Invitational, a national invitational that does not determine the national champion.

In the national championships, the men reached the finals for the second straight year, but lost to Trinity for the second time in two years. This year, the Crimson will rely upon captains Shondip Ghosh and Deepak Graham to help lead the team back to the top of the national rankings.

This year's preseason is off to a good start, with the men taking a match from Princeton, 6-3, at the Ivy scrimmages. Princeton was a team that beat Harvard in the regular season last year and the team that Harvard had to overcome in the national semifinals to face Trinity.

This year's squad will feature Ghosh in the top spot, junior Peter Karlen in the No. 2 spot and freshman James Bullock in the No. 3, according to Ghosh. The Crimson's top three will be tested all year, matching up with the other team's best players.

These players will have to offset the loss of Tim Wyant, last year's captain, and one of the top collegiate players in the country.

The Crimson should get substantial performances from the middle and bottom thirds of their roster because Harvard's depth is superior to many of its opponents. Senior Gray Witcher, sophomore Dylan Patterson and Abraham will fill the middle of the Crimson's roster. In the bottom third will be senior Andrew Merrill, freshman Ziggy Whitman and junior David Barry.

Both Bajwa and his captains feel the team's depth is a great asset.

"Every player is important, one through nine," Ghosh said. "Andrew Merrill has probably been the most consistent match-winner on the team and is probably unbeatable at the seven spot."

The Crimson's depth may be an asset against its weaker opponents, but Trinity and Princeton will again test Harvard.

"Trinity is very strong in the top three, so one of our top guys is going to have to step up to the plate," Ghosh said.

Abraham may be a strong component of the Crimson attack this year, as the captain and a three-time All-American is playing low in the order because of an injury and will likely dominate his opponents.

"For many years, Harvard has dominated squash in this country," Abraham said. "We hope to uphold this tradition and win the Nationals."

"I think we have the talent and determination to reach our goals," Ghosh said.

The men will host Brown and Navy tomorrow at 5 p.m. at the Murr Center.

Women

Last year, the women's squash team struggled on occasion after losing five of its top nine players from the 1998-99 season, struggling to a fourth-place finish in the Howe Cup, the women's national championship.

The Crimson lost the Ivy League title to rival Penn and fell to both Penn and Trinity in the national championships.

This year is already looking bright for the women as they entered the Ivy scrimmages with a No. 3 preseason ranking but emerged from a weekend of competition with the No. 1 ranking. And unlike last year, the Crimson return all but two team members.

The two pivotal players for the Crimson will likely be junior captain Margaret Elias and freshman Louisa Hall. Elias manned the No. 1 spot for the Crimson last year and garnered All-American honors. Hall, the gem of Bajwa's recruiting class, is the best junior player in America and among the best in the world.

"I am sure she (Hall) will make a tremendous impact on the team," Bajwa said.

Captain Virginia Brown will accompany senior Kate Gregory, sophomores Ella Witcher and Elli Thompson, and juniors Carlin Wing and Colby Hall. Both Hall and Wing were named to the Women's Intercollegiate Squash Association Second Team last year. Rounding out the roster will be four other freshmen who represent a strong recruiting class.

Brown is optimistic about the coming season, with freshmen filling four of the top 10 spots and with three players on the U.S. national team, it's hard to see why not.

"We need to stay focused on the task at hand throughout the season, play one match at a time, for ultimately they are all important, not just the big ones," Brown said.

The women open the season tomorrow at 7 p.m. at the Murr Center.

With a year under Bajwa and a pair of talented and deep rosters, the expectation is there for the Crimson to excel.

"Personally, my expectations are high," Bajwa said. "My desire is to light a flame in both the men and the women [so they] can take on all comers on the collegiate circuit."

The squash teams need to surpass last year's performances if they are to live up to their potential, and the only way to surpass last year's performances is to return to Cambridge with a pair of national championships.